What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR addition to Dynon Skyview

SonexGuy

I plan to use the Dynon Skyview system with 2-axis AP for my primary avionics. I'm IFR rated but in no way current. But I'd like to plan for getting current again in the future. What IFR-capable avionics have others used alongside a non-IFR setup like Dynon?

I'm working on my RV-7 wings, so just thinking ahead in case there is anything that might need to be accommodated in the wings. If not, it's still good to think about what my options might be. I'll be at Airventure (23 years in a row!) so I'll have the opportunity to look and ask questions.

I plan to use one of the the Garmin GTN unit when I upgrade my Dynon panel for IFR. I will also plan to add the ARINC-429 so the Dynon unit can talk to the GTN unit.

I used a Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO certified GPS navigator in three RVs. For my current (and last) project I will not use this clunky box. Instead:
- Dual SkyView HDX screens.
- Garmin GNC-175 as the TSO certified GPS navigator.
- Trig TX-56A Nav/Comm for Comm #1 and VOR/LOC/GS receiver.
- Dynon radio as Comm #2 (made by Trig)

The rest of the install includes:
- Dynon ARINC module
- Dynon integrated ADS-b receiver
- Dynon AP panel
- Dynon Knob panel
- Dynon EMS
- Dynon XPDR (made by Trig)
- Home brew wingtip VOR antenna

Carl

I started with a G430W for IFR work, and then a few years ago upgraded that to the Avidyne 440. There's no point in paying for a large screen on the IFR box since the Dynon glass shows everything so much better - you want the function on the IFR box but you'll never actually use the mapping.

I installed the Avidyne IFD540 with two HDX screens in my RV-7A and couldn’t be happier. I just love the way it will fly a fully coupled instrument approach.

I wouldn’t have anything else!

Me too. 430W was in the plane when I bought it, upgraded to Avidyne IFD440 a year or two later. Not just a GPS navigator, but a great FMS as well with some very useful (for me) options.

Plus one for the Avidyne IFD-440. It interfaces well with the HDX and there's an iPad app that becomes a remote screen for the IFD which gives you a much larger display than the 440. I also like the Bluetooth keyboard. Entering data with it is much faster than using the softkeys and knobs on the IFD itself.

Last edited:
I purchased MacCools old 430W for a good price and love it. Even got my instrument ticket with it. But after Garmin's latest news line an IFD-440 will be in the future. (hopefully long in the future :D) Building new it would be a no brainer.

Back