What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HDX vs AF

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm building a panel around an IFD540. It looks like the PFD will be either HDX or AF6600.

Anyone with knowledge to compare these two choices?

Thanks

AFS

Hi Bryan

I had the Touch 5600. It was fairly intuitive. What I liked about it are having buttons on the rt side and bottom. You are 1 touch of a button to getting where you need to be. Customer support is always available by phone. Emails are usually answered the same day. Friends of mine have the HDX and like it. You really can’t go wrong with either one, it boils down to preference. My RV3 came with a touch G3X. I still prefer an AFS.

What I don’t like about the G3X is the engine monitoring on the split screen does NOT show everything (all engine and electrical parameters) unlike Dynon, AFS, and GRT where everything parameter is shown. I’ve spoken to Garmin on several occasions over the last 15 months and all it does is fall on deaf ears. Also as another example when you download the data log and enter it into savvy analysis, it has all the engine data, except for Hobbs and Tach time. I’ve written programs and adding those two parameters to the data log would be so simple to add. It takes longer for me to write this when it does to add it but yet Garmin refuses to add these parameters. Oh, they’ll tell you that the parameters are there but it’s only at the beginning of the data. It doesn’t continue. Hobbs and Tach time cannot be seen in savvy analysis. You must go into an Excel file and read the very first line. Although it’s not too important there’s still no reason why not to include it in with every other parameter.

Hi Bryan

I had the Touch 5600. It was fairly intuitive. What I liked about it are having buttons on the rt side and bottom. You are 1 touch of a button to getting where you need to be. Customer support is always available by phone. Emails are usually answered the same day. Friends of mine have the HDX and like it. You really can’t go wrong with either one, it boils down to preference. My RV3 came with a touch G3X. I still prefer an AFS.

What I don’t like about the G3X is the engine monitoring on the split screen does NOT show everything (all engine and electrical parameters) unlike Dynon, AFS, and GRT where everything parameter is shown. I’ve spoken to Garmin on several occasions over the last 15 months and all it does is fall on deaf ears. Also as another example when you download the data log and enter it into savvy analysis, it has all the engine data, except for Hobbs and Tach time. I’ve written programs and adding those two parameters to the data log would be so simple to add. It takes longer for me to write this when it does to add it but yet Garmin refuses to add these parameters. Oh, they’ll tell you that the parameters are there but it’s only at the beginning of the data. It doesn’t continue. Hobbs and Tach time cannot be seen in savvy analysis. You must go into an Excel file and read the very first line. Although it’s not too important there’s still no reason why not to include it in with every other parameter.

Thanks Daren, this is good stuff to hear from firsthand users. And thanks for conveying G3X experience, er Garmin experience. I backed away from that option based on proprietary conflict between them and Avidyne which is already on my shelf.

Back