What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have an SL30 around Tampa?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Looking for someone in the Tampa area with an SL30 that would be willing to pull and bring it to my hangar at Tampa Exec (KVDF) for a quick 1–2-minute troubleshooting session. The Com side of my SL30 died during a flight this past weekend and before I go pulling the panel and look for a wiring issue, I's rather just swap out the radio which will be a quick and immediate indication as to the next step in the process.

I’m on the west coast so not close! But I do have a suggestion, if you cannot find a loaner:
It sounds like your nav still works. In the set up menu, there is an option to route the nav audio thru the com, and out the com output. Select that option, and listen for the nav ID using the com audio. If you hear it, you know the problem is ‘up stream’, the com radio or com antenna or coax. If you don’t hear it, the problem is ‘down’ stream, com audio or wiring to panel/headphones.
PS Try pulling the radio, spray all the pins with contact cleaner, reinsert while still wet to get some on the rack connections. Recently mine had become intermittent to boot up, but spraying the pins (or maybe just the mechanical rubbing of removal/reinsertion) has apparently fixed it.

Last edited:
I’m on the west coast so not close! But I do have a suggestion, if you cannot find a loaner:
It sounds like your nav still works. In the set up menu, there is an option to route the nav audio thru the com, and out the com output. Select that option, and listen for the nav ID using the com audio. If you hear it, you know the problem is ‘up stream’, the com radio or com antenna or coax. If you don’t hear it, the problem is ‘down’ stream, com audio or wiring to panel/headphones.
PS Try pulling the radio, spray all the pins with contact cleaner, reinsert while still wet to get some on the rack connections. Recently mine had become intermittent to boot up, but spraying the pins (or maybe just the mechanical rubbing of removal/reinsertion) has apparently fixed it.

Thanks Bob! As you surmised, the Nav side is still working fine. I’ll definitely give your suggestion a shot.

Last edited:
Back