What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone know the weight of the landing gear leafs and axles ? The MD-RA has an equipment list that needs the weight of the landing gear along with the arm ( Canada) . If someone has an uninstalled leg that they could weigh would be great.
Thanks Ron

You try arguing with the government , total waist of time. Your better off guessing at a number as there is little chance they have a clue. I did not guess , I omitted it and we will see how it goes.

Anyone know the weight of the landing gear leafs and axles ? The MD-RA has an equipment list that needs the weight of the landing gear along with the arm ( Canada) . If someone has an uninstalled leg that they could weigh would be great.
Thanks Ron

Ron,

Are you sure they aren?t asking for weight & balance information? I?m not familiar with the wording of the ?MD-RA? you?re referring to, but reading between the lines I?m wondering if they?re really asking for the weight of the aircraft on each gear leg (from which the empty weight can be calculated) along with the arm measured to the centerline of each wheel/axle (from which you can calculate moment & CG). I can?t imagine why the authorities would want to know the weight of the landing gear leg and axle components, but then again, one must never underestimate the creativity of bureaucrats trying to justify their existence by inventing pointless red tape to which we are all subjected along the path to gaining an airworthiness certificate?

No I'm sure it's not the weight on each gear leg , they already have that. It's an equipment list, with each arm and moment. They asked for the spinner, starter, alternator , engine, wheels, wheel fairings , radios nav. equipment, batteries, and ELT. There is more I just do not remember. The only thing I can guess it's for is if down the road you want to change gear leg type , maybe we would like round leg rather than flat leaf, we would know what the original one that fell off in flight weighed and could do the computations for a correction to our weight and balance document. If we just wanted to replace something as it's worn out we could weigh it then , OH yea I said worn out meaning some of the material is gone. Better know what it weigh the day we did the weight and balance.

When we first started adding an equipment list to our weight and balance document, 10 to 15 years ago, I was not happy and thought it a senseless exercise.
When I did a panel upgrade five years later it was really nice to already have the weight and "arm" information on the installed avionics. The replacement information was added and it was much easier to make changes to the final document.
The landing gear item seems a bit excessive but it is only one more line in the document.

Back