What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Order Slow vs QB

1956w

I'm New Here
Just started the Empennage for RV10. VS took me one week to build. Looks like the QB wings are a year out. Are the Wings way more difficult than the Empennage? Would rather have a project than to be sitting waiting. Vans says Slow Build wing kits are 5 months to process. Might have the empennage done by then. I don't want to start the wings and realize that I'm in way over my head. Talked to a guy to offered to do Gas tank builder assistance to get over that hurdle. Have a plane to fly, so no hurry and the cash flow might better fit the build timeline. Would the QB add more value to the plane vs my own bucked rivets?

Thoughts for the new builder?

Wings

Just started the Empennage for RV10. VS took me one week to build. Looks like the QB wings are a year out. Are the Wings way more difficult than the Empennage? Would rather have a project than to be sitting waiting. Vans says Slow Build wing kits are 5 months to process. Might have the empennage done by then. I don't want to start the wings and realize that I'm in way over my head. Talked to a guy to offered to do Gas tank builder assistance to get over that hurdle. Have a plane to fly, so no hurry and the cash flow might better fit the build timeline. Would the QB add more value to the plane vs my own bucked rivets?

Thoughts for the new builder?

Wings are easy. Ifbyou can build an empennage, no problem. Think of them as a huge HS. Faster if you have deburring help. Tanks are easy too. I built mine with a broken leg healing. Don't overthink it. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
I've been started my -10 a LOOONG time ago and it's on an indefinite hold due to money, but that's a different story.

I originally planned to do Quickbuild wings and fuselage. However, I changed my mind and am very glad I did. I found I truly enjoy building and built my wings quicker than the additional delay if I had waited for QBs. There's not really anything more difficult about them than the tail, just more parts to prep and assemble. Even the tanks weren't that difficult. Just messy until you learn to work with the proseal. (And I spent the extra $$ to get the pre-mixed tubes and a air dispenser. Wasted more proseal, but quick and easy mixing and using...)

I'll do slow build again in a heartbeat.

John

It’s pretty fast with the changes to mostly final sized holes. I started 1/22/2021 and I’m at final assembly of the empennage with maybe a month to go? I wish I would have ordered the standard built wings sooner, now I have to wait until the middle of July for crating, early August until it arrives...

If you don’t want to wait forever, you might want to put the 25% down on the wings to at least get the order started so you don’t have a large gap between kits if your circumstances allow for that.

Thanks for your input guys. What options do I need to add to the wing order?

Electric Aileron Trim?

Float Fuel Sending units? (not sure what else to consider)

Landing lights? Not sure I can afford Zip Tips. Want as much light as possible.

Longerons

Electric Aileron Trim?

If the RV10 is like the others, Vans ships the fuse longerons in the wing spar crate. Add two longerons. Nice to have if needed and very cheap to add to the list.

Electric Aileron Trim?

I'm waiting until I research the lighting options a bit more, but I did order the stock Aileron trim & fuel sending units with the wing kit.

If the RV10 is like the others, Vans ships the fuse longerons in the wing spar crate. Add two longerons. Nice to have if needed and very cheap to add to the list.

The longerons on the 10 are split. You get half with the tailcone and half with the fuse kit. There are no fuselage parts in the wing kit.

I would (and did) add an extra piece of J-channel. It's surprisingly easy to mess one up.

Conduit or snap bushings for wire runs.
Not now but in the future a Pitot Tube mount unless you are going to use vans design non heated bent tube method.

Back