What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subpanel Layout Opinions Sought

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So, before I try to figure out where all the wires go, I would really appreciate your opinions regarding where I have put all the various boxes. The locations are based somewhat on where connections go and somewhat on where they would fit and somewhat on considerations of revisions/maintenance access later.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Please overlook the crude models, but they are 1:1 within 1/4" or so.

Panel Mockup view of front.jpg

Last edited:
More pix cuz editing wouldn't let me

Views of aft sub panel, fwd sub panel, starboard view, and from firewall to aft.

Attachments

• Panel Mockup view of fwd subpanel.jpg
    Panel Mockup view of fwd subpanel.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 334
  • Panel Mockup view of aft subpanel.jpg
    Panel Mockup view of aft subpanel.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Panel Mockup view from starboard.jpg
    Panel Mockup view from starboard.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Panel Mockup view from firewall.jpg
    Panel Mockup view from firewall.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 254
You need to be aware that the "canopy frame close out" hangs under the canopy and abuts the upper forward edge of the subpanel. Because of this you need about 1 inch of clearance from the top edge and outer edges of the subpanel for any mounted equipment. Check section 38 in the plans (canopy construction). It looks like several pieces of equipment with this layout will have to be moved. I had to move my remote radio and audio panel due to interference with the canopy frame closeout.

Hope this picture helps to visualize it. It is looking at my subpanel from the right side to the left. The canopy is raised and you can see the canopy frame close out hanging under the canopy.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
The biggest thing is to make sure you have enough room for the d-subs connectors. At times is seems like the d-subs take up more space than the instrument. But it looks like you already know that.

Are you sure you need 2 hubs? The HDX, A/P controller and radio panel have 2 SV-Net connections.

Views of aft sub panel, fwd sub panel, starboard view, and from firewall to aft.

Leave more room on the right side of the EMS (Looking from pic#1) so you have the room for the CHT, EGT, and other sensor connector. These two connector have the most wire in your avionic layout.

The remote transponder and radio units should be move up to make room for the spring loaded mounting bracket.

Leave more room on the right side of the EMS (Looking from pic#1) so you have the room for the CHT, EGT, and other sensor connector. These two connector have the most wire in your avionic layout.
To expand on this, Make sure you know how you are going to route the Sensor wires and CHT/EGT wires to the EMS. It is one of the larger wire bundles and tight turns are difficult.

You need to be aware that the "canopy frame close out" hangs under the canopy and abuts the upper forward edge of the subpanel. Because of this you need about 1 inch of clearance from the top edge and outer edges of the subpanel for any mounted equipment. Check section 38 in the plans (canopy construction). It looks like several pieces of equipment with this layout will have to be moved. I had to move my remote radio and audio panel due to interference with the canopy frame closeout.

Hope this picture helps to visualize it. It is looking at my subpanel from the right side to the left. The canopy is raised and you can see the canopy frame close out hanging under the canopy.

Thanks Brian. The photo helped a lot. I also went over to a buddy's hangar and looked at his -14. Then, I moved everything down and rearranged a few things.

Attachments

• Subpanel layout left side.jpg
    Subpanel layout left side.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 185
The biggest thing is to make sure you have enough room for the d-subs connectors. At times is seems like the d-subs take up more space than the instrument. But it looks like you already know that.

Are you sure you need 2 hubs? The HDX, A/P controller and radio panel have 2 SV-Net connections.

I modeled the dSubs and attached them. You are correct. They take up a lot of room. had to rearrange some stuff based on this. Thanks.

Attachments

• Subpanel Model Top View.jpg
    Subpanel Model Top View.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 183
To expand on this, Make sure you know how you are going to route the Sensor wires and CHT/EGT wires to the EMS. It is one of the larger wire bundles and tight turns are difficult.

Based on your and the previous response, I will make a tray to hold the EMS 'in the air' in line with the glove box hole so the wires have a straight shot to the firewall.

Attachments

• Subpanel Model Right Top.jpg
    Subpanel Model Right Top.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 176

The remote transponder and radio units should be move up to make room for the spring loaded mounting bracket.

Spring-loaded mounting bracket? Hmm. Didn't know about this. Can you lead me to a drawing or plan showing dimensions?

Consider leaving a blank space in the center section to add a IFR GPS navigator down the road.

Carl

Good point. Although I have no plans to fly IFR, the next owner might. I cleared out some items from the center, but left the COMM radio, unless I need that room, also. How deep would an IFR GPS navigator intrude into the sub panel?

Attachments

• Subpanel Model Top View.jpg
    Subpanel Model Top View.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 91

I think I need two. One is filled (5 dSubs) and the other has 3 dSubs. The diagram shows how everything goes together, I think. If you see a way to eliminate one of the hubs, let me know, I could use the space. There is one open position for a network connection on the right display, but there are two connections (servos) that need homes.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram 3-10-2021.jpg
    Wiring Diagram 3-10-2021.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 126
Spring-loaded mounting bracket? Hmm. Didn't know about this. Can you lead me to a drawing or plan showing dimensions?

You need to have allowance for the retainer latch to fold out or down in order to remove the radio or the transponder for maintenance. This is the view of the avionic tray on my RV8 before all the connector. There is room in the back of the radio and transponder for the latch to fold down for removing the equipment. The EMS has the CHT/EGT connectors facing out to facilitate the routing of the thick engine monitor wire bundles. The ADSB is small that there was no problem with the DB9 connector.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 118
I just spoke to Dynon about another subject but they told me the remote transponder and remote transceiver boxes should be mounted as close to their respective antennae as possible to minimize the amount of coaxial cable between antenna and box. That means neither of these electronics boxes need be behind the panel, in fact, should be out in the fuselage close to the antennae. Is this what most builders do? If so, I would be interested in photos of how and where the electronics got mounted.

It solves one problem by uncrowding the sub panel, but raises another with where to put the electronics in the fuse.

I think I need two. One is filled (5 dSubs) and the other has 3 dSubs. The diagram shows how everything goes together, I think. If you see a way to eliminate one of the hubs, let me know, I could use the space. There is one open position for a network connection on the right display, but there are two connections (servos) that need homes.
You have 2 open SV-Net ports. One on HDX2 and one on the knob panel. If you fill them all then you can eliminate the one hub, but all the ports would be full. A hub is not very expensive and if it simplifies the wire routing then use it. It is my preference to connect the AHARS directly to one screen (as you have done) and the EMS to the other screen. I don't know if there is much logic to it but it makes me feel more comfortable that the 2 more important components go directly to the screen.

SV Network Cables

If you purchase one 30' long SV network cable from Dynon, you can cut it up to the lengths you want and attach the pins and dsubs to the ends. It will give you a high quality cable at a fraction of the Dynon cost.

You have 2 open SV-Net ports. One on HDX2 and one on the knob panel. If you fill them all then you can eliminate the one hub, but all the ports would be full. A hub is not very expensive and if it simplifies the wire routing then use it. It is my preference to connect the AHARS directly to one screen (as you have done) and the EMS to the other screen. I don't know if there is much logic to it but it makes me feel more comfortable that the 2 more important components go directly to the screen.

Actually, I am not using the knob panel (I should have revised the plan shown), I will put in the Intercom Panel instead. It doesn't have a network port. But, I agree, the hubs are cheap, and it gives me more flexibility in routing wires.

If you purchase one 30' long SV network cable from Dynon, you can cut it up to the lengths you want and attach the pins and dsubs to the ends. It will give you a high quality cable at a fraction of the Dynon cost.

Heck of a good idea. Thanks. I need 7 of the 1.5' cables. So, one 20' cable will do it. That's $70 vs $350. I owe you a beer or three. Plus, now I get to practice with my cool dSub crimping tool.

Actually, I am not using the knob panel (I should have revised the plan shown), I will put in the Intercom Panel instead. It doesn't have a network port. But, I agree, the hubs are cheap, and it gives me more flexibility in routing wires.

Strongly recommend getting the Knob Panel. This is used more than anything else.

Carl

You need to have allowance for the retainer latch to fold out or down in order to remove the radio or the transponder for maintenance. This is the view of the avionic tray on my RV8 before all the connector. There is room in the back of the radio and transponder for the latch to fold down for removing the equipment. The EMS has the CHT/EGT connectors facing out to facilitate the routing of the thick engine monitor wire bundles. The ADSB is small that there was no problem with the DB9 connector.
On the Dynon Certified side they make an "Avionics Tray" that attaches to the panel where the EFIS is. So you remove the screen and you have access to all the components that sit on the tray. It makes for a really clean installation, like what PhatRV shows. I don't know why Dynon doesn't make that panel available to the experimental market. You can see a drawing of the Dynon tray in their Certified SkyView_HDX_System_Installation_Manual page 4-4 here: https://www.dynoncertified.com/downloads/documentation/general/SkyView_HDX_System_Installation_Manual_Rev_E.pdf

I just spoke to Dynon about another subject but they told me the remote transponder and remote transceiver boxes should be mounted as close to their respective antennae as possible to minimize the amount of coaxial cable between antenna and box. That means neither of these electronics boxes need be behind the panel, in fact, should be out in the fuselage close to the antennae. Is this what most builders do? If so, I would be interested in photos of how and where the electronics got mounted.

It solves one problem by uncrowding the sub panel, but raises another with where to put the electronics in the fuse.

I have a hub on the subpanel and a hub on the vertical member behind the center of the baggage bulkhead. The hub connects to the primary and secondary ADAHRS units, txpndr, and adsb units, the former 2 up high on a tray hung from the ceiling, the latter two on the floor close to their antennas. A long sv cable goes to the hub up front on the subpanel.

Back