What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Zulu 2 and PFX in the RV-10

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Last time I bought a headset, I compared the Bose A20 ad Lightspeed Zulu 2, and the Zulu 2 had substantially worse noise reduction. I need a new headset again, so I bought the Zulu PFX and flew with it the other night. The PFX also has substantially worse noise reduction than the A20. My A20 isn't quite comfortable on long flights, which I why I keep trying alternatives.

Has anyone else compared the A20 to the Lightspeed headsets head-to-head in the RV-10 and have a similar result? People generally seem to prefer one over the other slightly, but the difference is huge in my experience, which makes me think something else is going on (or I'm just weird).

Headset

Have similar experience
Own a Zulu,a zulu2 ,and for Christmas give to my wife a new Bose,for my surprise ,she can hold,was very uncomfortable for her,then I exchange for the new PFX,Have no luck,she doesn't liked ,when back to the store the manager suggested to tested the new AKG,to make short,now I have a very happy wife,which translate in many happy flights.
I suggest give a try,they are really good,

Headsets

I too have tried almost all of them, not the newest Zulu, but the AKG Is my favorite. You must give these consideration.

Headset

Rob,

Ditto to the above posts, have you ever tried an AKG AV-100? I bought a Bose A-20 and an AV-100 to do a direct comparison over a weekend of flying. They are both equal in ANR quality, radio and audio clarity.

The BIG advantage the AV-100 headset has is comfort. The Bose started clamping down on my head fairly quickly and by the end of the first day I was ready to send it back. I kept getting hot spots all day and had to keep readjusting it to make it comfortable.

The second day I used the AV-100 and never had to adjust it and in fact, forgot I had it on, it's that comfortable. The other advantage to the AV-100 is that it comes with Bluetooth standard, a LEMO plug and a regular 2 prong adapter jack for normal GA headset connections. It also has map light LEDs on the front of each earcup for night ops.

The Bose is $1099 for the Bluetooth LEMO plug version plus another $60 if you want the LEMO plug to GA adapter. The AV100 is $999 complete and also has the LED map lights which the Bose does not. The AV100 headset also comes with a much nicer compact case.

The RV-4 I fly is probably a bit noisier than your -10 as well. If you order a set from Acft Spruce, you can always send it back. I sent the Bose A-20 back the next day with no hassles and got a full refund
Oly

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I ended up trying the Zulu PFX, AKG, and Bose A20s side-by-side-by-side in my RV-10. I ended up keeping the Bose, because it was definitely the quietest. My second choice would have been the AKG, because it seemed more comfortable than the Zulu PFX and was cheaper.

The difference in noise reduction is noticeable, but not major, so if I really cared about Bluetooth music, I would have kept the AKG.

-Rob

Make sure you have the PFX set to do the additional noise canceling. There is a little switch on the side. With the additional noise canceling I have never used a headset that is better than the PFX.

Bose vs Lightspeed

I find the Bose a bit quieter, but after about an hour of flying it becomes uncomfortable.

The Zulu.2 is not quite as quiet, but I can wear it all day long no problem. My longest flight time in one days is just over 10 hours and was perfectly comfortable wearing the Zulu the whole time. In my old day job, I'd wear the Bose for short trips, mostly because it was provided in the plane. For longer trips I'd unpack my personal Zulu.2 and use it.

I also found that when the batteries die, the Zulu becomes the quieter one. It has better passive noise reduction.

Back