What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS Display Stretched?

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
This has been bothering me for a long time, so I finally have to ask. The AFS displays seem "stretched" to me in all the pictures I've seen of them. It reminds me of a 4:3 TV image stretched to fit a 16:9 display, but to a lesser extent. Where I notice it:
  1. Font seems really wide (but maybe that's just the chosen font?)
  2. On the moving map, the little airplane icon's wings aren't perpendicular to the fuselage
You can see examples of both here.

Completely inconsequential, but it bothers me :). Anyone else notice this?

-Rob

Displays

The 5000 series does have a few awkward parts to the display. Much of the "stretch" is due to the re-sizing for split screen characteristics.

Frankly, I'd prefer a tighter video rendering for a crisper display and for a more "stuff." But, that has been explained as a function of the hardware under the hood that limits the overall UI.

This has been bothering me for a long time, so I finally have to ask. The AFS displays seem "stretched" to me in all the pictures I've seen of them. It reminds me of a 4:3 TV image stretched to fit a 16:9 display, but to a lesser extent. Where I notice it:
  1. Font seems really wide (but maybe that's just the chosen font?)
  2. On the moving map, the little airplane icon's wings aren't perpendicular to the fuselage
You can see examples of both here.

Completely inconsequential, but it bothers me :). Anyone else notice this?

-Rob

Rob,

The older software did have an airplane icon rotation issue, What version of software are you running in your AF-5000 EFIS?

The problem has nothing to do with a hardware limitation on the AF-5000 system. The dual core AF-5000 CPU actually has lots of extra computational power that we are not using.... yet. The standard "RV" airplane is a 32x32 image that is really low resolution and it will look skewed when rotated, this will only show up when you are flying in North up mode. We do let you import your own 128x128 resolution image that will make it look better.

The fonts are just the ones we chose to use.

With the current software your screen should look like this direct screen image capture:
14917859933_9686bb9c3d_o.png

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Rob. I can only wish I was flying your stuff--I'm still on the Dynon 1xx system, and I've only flown the AFS a couple times in a friend's airplane. The new screenshot looks great. The one I linked to is on your site, but must be older.

-Rob

Back