What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr installation problem

clam

Well Known Member
Question for the GRT SME's... today I put first electrical power on a fresh installation of a single HXr DU with legacy dual AHRS. The PFD displays a constant barrel roll kinda motion with headings rotating through 360 degrees in a continuous turn. This "airshow" continues for approx 2 minutes, then a message appears "ATTITUDE FAIL PUSH STATUS". ASI and altimeter indicate static/on the ground.

The setup pages are showing data flowing on the AHRS serial lines (via the counters) even once the ATTITUDE FAIL message appears.

The dual magnetometers are connected but just resting on a wooden stool out about where the wing tips will be at some point in the future. They are in no way calibrated.

Pitot-static system... all connected, but pitot is capped off.

I can't find any troubleshooting ideas on GRT website or here on VAF.
Also sent to GRT tech support.

Anyone know what this means?
Thanks
Jeff

Question for the GRT SME's... today I put first electrical power on a fresh installation of a single HXr DU with legacy dual AHRS. The PFD displays a constant barrel roll kinda motion with headings rotating through 360 degrees in a continuous turn. This "airshow" continues for approx 2 minutes, then a message appears "ATTITUDE FAIL PUSH STATUS". ASI and altimeter indicate static/on the ground.

The setup pages are showing data flowing on the AHRS serial lines (via the counters) even once the ATTITUDE FAIL message appears.

The dual magnetometers are connected but just resting on a wooden stool out about where the wing tips will be at some point in the future. They are in no way calibrated.

Pitot-static system... all connected, but pitot is capped off.

I can't find any troubleshooting ideas on GRT website or here on VAF.
Also sent to GRT tech support.

Anyone know what this means?
Thanks
Jeff

I suspect a bad connection to the magnetometers.
Double, triple check the connections.
On the boot screen, do you get an AHRS "pass" or "fail" type message?
Did you follow their wiring diagram for the dual unit?

The only time I had something similar was when I allowed my magnetometer to get drench in water and thus some REALLY bad signals were sent to the AHRS. Once dried out, all was fine.

Fell free to give me a call.

eight 0 three
2 three eight

James

James, problem solved. My mag wiring "passed" checks 1 and 2, but the triple check caught it. Standby though, I'm sure I'll have more questions ;)
Thx
Jeff

I had switched a red/black wire with a black/red wire in one of the plugs. For the life of me, I couldn't see or find it. Ben ( former employee who left to join his family business ) sat in my plane one afternoon and watched the data counters for a moment, got out and went right to the source, pulled apart the plug and there it was! I would never have found it.

Back