What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sound/heat insulation

Beejer

What do you use to line your plane? I just bought one with NO insulation and it feels like I’m flying in a vibrating jar of nails. I’d prefer something light and self adhesive but if something works better I’m all ears. I’m just not willing to mix zebra tears and wild grown flax pods. My laziness has its place…

Thanks!

Use the search feature and search for "insulation". Lots of facts and opinions will pop up for you to read.

Bottom line, heat insulation needs to be installed on the outside of whatever you're trying to insulate - like the engine side of the firewall and the outside of the aircraft's belly near the exhaust. Noise insulation (in general) is hard to do since you're sitting under a huge plastic bubble that can't be insulated. Besides, most sound deadening materials are flammable, so you want to minimize/eliminate their use.

Spend the bucks and get some ANR headsets.

Less weight than trying to sound insulate the plane, and work better.

What do you use to line your plane? I just bought one with NO insulation and it feels like I’m flying in a vibrating jar of nails. I’d prefer something light and self adhesive but if something works better I’m all ears. I’m just not willing to mix zebra tears and wild grown flax pods. My laziness has its place…

Thanks!

Money better spent on having someone balance your prop.

Larry

Prop and ANR

Wait, the prop is not supposed to spin in large moving ovals in front of the plane? Circles you say... On the long list.

As to ANR, got that. First thing I fell for and bought ;) Really just looking for a backing on the firewall. Don't want to buy the stuff off of Amazon and then have anyone who looks at the plane say, "Oh you bought the flamethrower, instant death material." Small safety and some sound right at the firewall and exhaust. Not looking for a sealed cabin.

Really just looking for a backing on the firewall. Don't want to buy the stuff off of Amazon and then have anyone who looks at the plane say, "Oh you bought the flamethrower, instant death material." Small safety and some sound right at the firewall and exhaust. Not looking for a sealed cabin.

There is no truly safe insulation for the cabin side of the firewall....and it doesn't work very well anyway. It's like wearing your underpants over your jeans and expecting skidmark prevention.

You can add practically anything to the engine side without real concern. The issue is merely what works the best.

Wait, the prop is not supposed to spin in large moving ovals in front of the plane? Circles you say... On the long list.

If it is like a shaking jar of nails, there is a good chance that a prop balance job will make you happy. I don't get that feeling in my 6A and don't believe it is typical.

Back