What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handy Cowl Support For RV-3 & -4

David Paule

Well Known Member
As with so many things in life, timing is everything. In this case, wait until you're starting to work on the cowl and then this is a good thing.

Another thread talked about Zizzo folding bikes. They sounded pretty decent and I bought one. Like it, too, good bike. Turns out that the box it came in makes an excellent cowl support.

Cowl In A Box.JPG

I work on it out in the shop and then, rather than keeping the shop warm all night, bring it in to let the epoxy cure overnight. The box would work fine out in the shop, too.

Anyway, wait till you're on the cowl and THEN buy the folding bike.

Dave

Me Too!

I make these cowl support/rotating jigs for my builds - it sure makes the "fine tuning" work a lot easier, you don't have to have resin "drool" run down your arm when working on the bottom of the cowl when it's on the airplane. Also, makes the painting process much easier.

The only caveat about the process is that you need to make a "simulated" firewall out of 3/4 ply (or?) when building the original firewall. Then when the cowling is hung on the airplane, and all of the hinges (or whatever attachment method you use) are in place, you can "transfer" them to the dummy FW (DFW - sorry Dallas/Fort Worth Intl.) and use them to attach you cowl to it. Put the DFW on a rotating stand and voila!

YMMV - but this helps.

HFS

Attachments

• Rotating Cowl Jig - Rocket .jpg
    Rotating Cowl Jig - Rocket .jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 90
Back