What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical lacing cord material

Clouddancer

Well Known Member
I think I will give the lacing of electrical wire bundles a try. I‘m wondering what type of material is normally used? ACS sells polyester and nylon.

Lacing Cord....

I think I will give the lacing of electrical wire bundles a try. I‘m wondering what type of material is normally used? ACS sells polyester and nylon.

Someone on your airport has likely recovered a rag-wing airplane. Ask them if they have any left-over rib lacing/stiching cord. Chances are they have several hundred yards left on their spool......:)

Waxed lacing cord

Me three. You really want "Waxed Lacing Cord".
The wax keeps knots from slipping. Look up some videos. Knots need to be tied correctly. Be careful. You can easily cut wires with the stuff.
I've got a pile of precut strips, I've used to hang Christmas lights every year. They hold all season. Easy bow knots untie and the string slips right off for another year.
For lashing I have a few different methods. I also support plumbing lines and secure other stuff with it. A couple wraps of self fusing silicone tape then lashing.
Bond It F4 Emergency Self-Fusing Silicone Tape, Repair Plumbing Pipe & Radiator Hose Leak, Electrical Insulation, Permanent Bonding, Waterproof, 1" x 36' x 20mil, Red https://a.co/d/goJ3L7J

Last edited:
I've got what's left of a 50+ year old roll that's waxed. Perhaps due to its age, it does not make a mess. Sure holds, though.

Dave

I use the Boeing Spec flat braid Nomex. It holds a knot very well and no wax.

But, its not cheap. I wound up with a couple of rolls in my taco wagon the last time I got laid-off. So, mine was free. You can sometimes find it for sale on Ebay.

:)+1 me too. Just have to relearn all of those Boy Scout clove, half hitches and granny knots.

:) NOT "granny knots"! Those can and will loosen. You mean *square* knots.

Spot tied all of my electrical harnesses per the NASA spec...a clove hitch with a square knot. After a while, I could do them one-handed upside-down and backward (out of necessity, working under the instrument panel at times, e.g. LOL).

We use a modified surgeon's knot at work. Tie a clove hitch to start, then the first half of a square knot, but with an extra turn like the surgeon's. The finish is the second half of a square knot, but with the second turn like the first.

A lot of the diagrams and videos out there show running lacing, but most of the major manufacturers abandoned that practice long years ago. I know my workplace dropped that from our standards back in the early 70's. We strictly do spot ties.

It's a riot trying to teach the new kids on the flight line how to tie a clove hitch on a harness in limited space and do so absolutely by feel!

Knots....the tied kind, not the speed kind...

It's a riot trying to teach the new kids on the flight line how to tie a clove hitch on a harness in limited space and do so absolutely by feel!

It's riot to try to teach new kids knots to tie in tie-down ropes...!:D:rolleyes:

Telephone Hitch

Howdy Everyone. I bought cord from Amazon. If interested, video attached of my lacing method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWgcpck-D8

Try the Telephone Hitch posted on SteinAir.
I'm a little biased because I was a telephone guy.
The knot is really fast to tie.
Lay the string accross thumb and first finger. Move both fingers around the top and back under. Telphone Hitch.
Pass the string under then througu the loop. Snug the hitch and tighten the string by pulling it through the hitch. Add a wrap or two then square knot the ends.

The nice thing about lacing instead of tie wraps is that you don't have to worry as much about nicking the wires if you have to redo some wiring. Cut at one spot, and unlace a length of cord instead of cutting a bunch of ties, especially in hard to reach areas.

Last edited:
Back