What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance panel installation

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount the Lowrance 2000c (or 1000) in the panel? There is an old thread from about 2.5 years ago that discussed this a little, but the pictures all have broken links. Also, there seem to be a lot more people flying with this GPS now, so a new thread seems in order. I do know many people have mounted the Garmins in the panel, but they use a different mounting system that may not be as relevant for the Lowrance units. Also, given the large size and lack of tilt ability in the AirGizmo mount, I'd prefer not to go that route.

Specifically-

1. What sort of bracket did you create (if any)?

2. Does your solution have any provision for tilting slightly toward the pilot?

3. Can you pop the unit in and out relatively easy to take it with you?

Thanks for any suggestions and/or pictures.

Old link:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=456&highlight=airmap+mount

2000c mounting

I was planning on just bolting the ball that comes with the GPS to the panel.

Then just attach the GPS with the small link they give you.

This would allow easy positioning for best viewing and also allow the unit
to be removed for safe keeping.

I was thinking somewhere in the upper center of the panel.

Just thinking.........

Dave

Airgizmo and Ram mounts

Steve,

The airgizmo will hold the L2000c and then you can use a ram mount and bolt it to the dash or under the dash on a angle. The ram mounts are straight and also you can get one that is 12-18" long that is flexible. You can use the ball mounts for the ram and place where needed. 1 inch balls are the most common for the Ram mounts.
I hope this helps.

I used the ram suction to mount to the canopy (just above the dash), and I centered it at the left to right mid point of the dash. If you position it just right, you can bring the unit out and down to clear the dash, but have the 2000c come down below the dash (where I was planning to "hard mount" anyway). I drilled a hole in the dash just behing the 2000c, installed a bushing, then installed the power/Tru Trak wiring. Now when I raise the canopy, the wiring stays with the tilting dash/canopy and out of the way. Also, because the unit is so low on the canapy, you field of view is basically unchanged with the unit there. Also, you can position it any way you want.

When I want to bring the unit with me, I just unplug the wire, and pop the suction release. No extra holes on the panel if I decide later to use a different unit.

Here is my 1000 in the airgizmos mount. I am very happy with it and would only change it for an XM weather capable unit. I wanted my GPS to be the center of my panel and it is very visible with no need to tilt.

rv9n659dbif8.jpg

2000C Mounting

I used the shortest Ram mount leg that came with the 2000. You can still angle it pretty good for the pilot but mine is mounted on the passenger side, gives my wife something to mess with!

I used the longer Ram mount first and the unit vibrated too much. You want it to be as solid as you can get it.

The Air Gizmo is the best way to go if you're mounting the unit in the center of the panel along with the radio stack. The visibility is good there and you can just release the unit from your panel to get to the data card when it is time to upgrade the database.

My Airmap 1000 is mounted on the panel via a simple, home-made U-shaped bracket that is attached to the rear of the unit with the existing screw holes and to the panel with plate nuts:

panel_07-06.jpg

It is formed so that the GPS is angled toward the left seat. The antenna and data/power cable go into the panel through a grommeted hole. I has worked very nicely for several years now.

Sam Buchanan said:
My Airmap 1000 is mounted on the panel via a simple, home-made U-shaped bracket that is attached to the rear of the unit with the existing screw holes and to the panel with plate nuts:

panel_07-06.jpg

It is formed so that the GPS is angled toward the left seat. The antenna and data/power cable go into the panel through a grommeted hole. I has worked very nicely for several years now.

NICE JOB! That looks much sturdier than the Ram mount method and still accessible to updating the data card.

I mounted it in the panel

Some good ideas to work with. Has anyone mounted their 1000/2000c IN the panel without using the AirGizmo?

Here is a link to my panel. See the bottom of the page:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1533&page=11&pp=10&highlight=show+panel

I used the threaded holes in the back of the GPS to secure some "C" channel I fabricated out of scrap (.032). I riveted some UHMV strips to the legs of the "C" so the back of the panel would not get scratched. My installation is light, simple, cheap and secure. Good luck.

Some good ideas to work with. Has anyone mounted their 1000/2000c IN the panel without using the AirGizmo?

That was my original intention, and the U-bracket was made with that in mind. A hole was going to be cut for the 1000 and the bracket mounted on the forward surface of the panel so the GPS would be recessed into the panel.

But after looking at things for a bit, I realized hacking the panel wasn't necessary, so I flipped the bracket over, tweaked it slightly, and mounted it on the aft side of the panel. Now I won't have the hole in the panel to deal with when the latest and greatest hits the market. :)

panel_07-06.jpg

My hangar-mate did mount his 1000 in a hole in the panel using a bracket very similar to mine (sorry, no photos, but it is a simple concept).

Last edited:
Back