What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D-Day Stripes

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
I want to put D-Day stripes on my polished RV-9A wings and figure to use 8" stripes. I am trying to decide how gloss vs Satin or Matte would look and hold up. I am going to use Vinyl, not paint. Has anyone does this with Vinyl and what did you use?
Ed

Invasion stripes

I put invasion stripes on my white RV-6A and they are 8" wide vinyl in a sort of matte finish. Two each wing. Checkers on the flaps top and bottom.
I did not do the fuselage.
I bought a 50' roll for a pretty fair price from I actually do not know where. I might have that info at the hangar.
Have enough to do them again if needed.
Been on there for 2 years and not coming off.
I will say that the tank screws will pull it pretty badly. So I used flush style trim washers under the screw heads. Not Tinnermans.
Your luck may vary Art

Pic?

I put invasion stripes on my white RV-6A and they are 8" wide vinyl in a sort of matte finish. Two each wing. Checkers on the flaps top and bottom.
I did not do the fuselage.
I bought a 50' roll for a pretty fair price from I actually do not know where. I might have that info at the hangar.
Have enough to do them again if needed.
Been on there for 2 years and not coming off.
I will say that the tank screws will pull it pretty badly. So I used flush style trim washers under the screw heads. Not Tinnermans.
Your luck may vary Art

Thanks Art...do you have a picture perhaps? You did the top and bottom surface of the wing I presume?
Ed

I have a couple during some work that will give you the idea. Yes the stripes go top and bottom back to the flaps. They are 8" wide and 8" apart I believe. Not at hangar so guessing from memory.IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg
Art

I want to put D-Day stripes on my polished RV-9A wings and figure to use 8" stripes. I am trying to decide how gloss vs Satin or Matte would look and hold up. I am going to use Vinyl, not paint. Has anyone does this with Vinyl and what did you use?
Ed

I usually do my invasion stripes 7 inches. I also only want them on the flaps.

I used a 45 inch wide vinyl strip. It was custom printed.

Each white/black stripe is 9 inches wide.
That total width was to include the flap up to the wing walkway.
It's one piece top and bottom, the flaps are also wrapped with one piece all around.

Attachments

• IMG_7789.jpg
    IMG_7789.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7788.jpg
    IMG_7788.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 143
Peeps,

I borrowed a buddy’s 9” wide invasion stripes to see how the looked on my RV-14. The RV-14 wing is just under 12’ long. Given the “rule of thirds” they seem too wide overall (9x5= 45”). Ideally, 36” (5 stripes at 6” wide each) seems apropos, as well as having the stars and bars at 36”, instead of the suggested 55.6”. Historically, smaller aircraft sported 9” wide stripes by technical order, but I feel this was more a function of the width of a standard paint roller, than any visual recognition calculation.

Thoughts?

Jeffrey Turner
RV-14 almost, almost finished

Back