What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon auto pilot

Slowpoke

I have had issues with my auto pilot since I put it into operation. I am using a D-10A with SV32's for both pitch and Roll. This will be the second time the servos have been shipped back to Dynon within a year.

Problem:
Pitch servo does not communicate with the D-10A, I get a DSAB network error. I do not get this all the time, sometimes the thing works. I have checked all the connections, replaced the wire harness and Dynon has even looked at the D-10A and repaired it.

Roll servo does not display a message of a problem but when it is engaged it does not always drive or track, the D-10A says it is doing its thing but the plane is going were it wants:(. There is no sign of slippage on the D-10A or input to control the aircraft. Sometimes it does work though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Dynon does not seem to have an answer for this, they have looked at all of my equipment and I still do not have a working auto pilot and now they have requested to see the servos again.:confused:

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Have you checked to see if the servo arm shear screw has broken in turbulence?

The servo might be wanting to do the job, but can't.

Simple fix.

Dynon went thru the servos and repair both of them. I called to ask what the repair consisted of and Mike said they replaced the electrical boards. I reinstalled the units and they are working as they are suppose to. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the ideas though guys.

D10A Autopilot Pireps? Comparison to stand alone APs?

I looked for this information in the lasts year of posts. Thought this thread might be appropriate for these questions.

My new to me RV6A has a standard 6 pack and everything in the panel is round. I have had two 10" EFIS screens in my previous 7A so going back to a 6 pack has been,, interesting for me. (Blue Mountain followed by Skyview system).

I am flying nearly three hour cross county trips on a regular basis and really desire an auto pilot. Sometimes these legs are in some very bumpy desert thermal conditions, so that may be a factor in selecting and autopilot? Complicating my decision is the fact that I have a Skyview system at my disposal but no time to do a major panel upgrade at this time.

So I am thinking a D10A stuck into the ADI hole and the Dynon servos may be a good way for me to go, but I am not sure about that. Reading through many autopilot posts here it seems that everyone that buys a Trio or Tru Track is quite happy with them. I have read of some problems with the Dynon AP.

Are there significant differences in performance in the stand alone systems when compared to a D10A system?

Are there significant differences in performance in a D10A system compared to having the same servos hooked up to a Skyview system?

I would sure appreciate any advice and especially pireps on a D10A based system and how they compare to the stand alone systems.

I am not IFR rated but I would like to eventually get there so having the ability for coupled approaches etc. seems like a good idea. (For now just being able to let go of the stick for a few moments would be very much appreciated:)

A D10A that is compatible with the Skyview network wiring would pretty much make my decision for me... Dynon when will that happen?

Randall in Carlsbad NM

Randy,

We flew our RV-10 with a Dynon D series auto pilot for years with very good success and stability. This would be a great way to get a good little EFIS with auto pilot at a good price. The benefit of this system is that you can use the same servos when you upgrade to he Skyview down the road. The D-series won't couple an approach vertically, but it will laterally. You could add the AP-74 easily as well for easier access to functions, but all of the features are in the D10A without the AP74. When you run your wires, just make sure you do so in a format that will work for the Skyview (2 twisted pairs for network, power, ground and disconnect switch - to each servo).you will not use he second twisted pair with the D10A, but will use it with the Skyview.

I'm currently running my D-10A as a temporary measure in anticipation of a Skyview upgrade. It's being driven by a GTN 650 and despite the lack of functionality of a A429 connection, it is still a capable autopilot in this basic form. It follows the magenta line and holds altitude just fine - which is 99% of my current (VFR) requirements.

Have you checked the wiring and connections by actually hooking them up to a test set?

I had a problem with some of the skyview sutff, and while the wiring was good and everything looked right on the surface, I had a bad/intermittent connection.

Strange it's happening on both servos too, have you tried swapping for another D10A or slicking it and reprogramming the setup from scratch? Did you do all the calibration setups after install as outline in the manual?

Last edited:
Trio Pro Pilot

Just back from a trip through some pretty strong turbulence with my Trio Pro Pilot, and I'm very happy with how well it handled the turbulence.

Trio will fly an IFR approach to minimums if hooked up to a certified IFR GPS source, such as the Garmin 430 or 650 etc. Also workd with most EFIS brands, and adds redudancy.

Happy Trio owner.

Back