What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oversized rivets?

jbfjr822

I'm New Here
A few months ago I bought an RV-12 project from a lady whose husband had passed. Unfortunately I didn't have much RV knowledge and had just finished building a Pietenpol. When I got the project home I started seeing parts on the passenger side that had been cut, modified, new rivet holes drilled, etc. I found out from other RV builders that if the holes don't line up, you've done something wrong.
Long story short, I've removed enough parts and found the problem; he mounted the four right-most step ribs upside down! It went downhill for him from there.
Anyway, I've ordered the new parts and will get it built back right. However I will have a few rivet holes that will be slightly larger than the LP4-3 rivets that the plans call for.
Does Van's sell a rivet that is slightly oversize for an LP4-3?

CherryMax

A few months ago I bought an RV-12 project from a lady whose husband had passed. Unfortunately I didn't have much RV knowledge and had just finished building a Pietenpol. When I got the project home I started seeing parts on the passenger side that had been cut, modified, new rivet holes drilled, etc. I found out from other RV builders that if the holes don't line up, you've done something wrong.
Long story short, I've removed enough parts and found the problem; he mounted the four right-most step ribs upside down! It went downhill for him from there.
Anyway, I've ordered the new parts and will get it built back right. However I will have a few rivet holes that will be slightly larger than the LP4-3 rivets that the plans call for.
Does Van's sell a rivet that is slightly oversize for an LP4-3?

Check with Vans to be safe but CherryMax sells in between sizes

Back