What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote compass and Dynon D10A

exercise

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
A Dynon remote compass was included along with a D10A and D10 I purchased that was taken from another kind of aircraft. Do I need to install the remote compass in the RV4 I'm now wiring up. Also have a iFly 740. If it is necessary(hope not) where would it be mounted?

The D10/D10A has a magnetometer within the "head" unit, but most people have found that it does not perform well. Too much "magnetic" activity in the panel area.

Without the remote compass (and OAT probe) you will not get true airspeed and winds.

I started off with a D10A and no remote compass. The compass cal is more complicated but when done the compass was dead nuts on.

I later installed the remote compass as I wanted the OAT feature to get TAS and Wind Direction/Speed. It worked just as well as the internal compass but much easier to calibrate. I recommend using it.

Carl

I have two

I have two D10As in my RV4, each with a remote compass. One remote is under the pax seat floor, the other under the baggage compartment floor. I made up an angled aluminum mount to set the pitch and zero heading, and just glued the mount to the inside skin. Both seem to work well, and I can unscrew and replace if a unit craps out. The OAT probe is more problematic, I mounted it under the horizontal stab, but I think the exhaust is still bothering it during high speed descents. An RV6 in an adjacent hanger tried a wingtip mounting, but the position lights bothered it there.

You may want to try putting the OAT sensor in the access panel for the aileron bellcrank. I put mine there and have been very pleased. Not difficult to run the wire if tanks happen to be off but not that bad with them on. Good, clean air there.

Back