to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2022, 11:56 AM

Default Update status

Guys,

Just wanted to give an update to this thread for those who are going the TRIG TX56 route. I've been in weekly contact with TRIG on the integration of the Dynon/TRIG TX56 combination. What a fantastic company for customer service which is hard to come by nowadays! They have replicated my setup (Dynon Skyview and TX56) in the lab hooked up via RS232 and have duplicated the same behavior as noted in the original post. At this point, Dynon Skyview is just replicating on its CDI needle what the TX56 NAV function is requesting. Basically, the TX56 is acting as a standalone unit and projecting course on the skyview CDI. It works for training as long as I hit the OBS button on the TX56 first, then the Skyview CDI needle comes alive.

I just got an update from TRIG that they have a software update that is just about ready for release. This same behavior apparently also happens with the Garmin G3X for those using Garmin. When the software is released, the configuration and integration should be as advertised in the installation manual. About the only change, I will probably see is I wont have to hit the TX56 OBS button prior to green needles coming alive on the Dynon Skyview CDI. For those who are wondering, the TX56 overall has been rock solid for communication and navigation. I've hit VOR's that are 50 miles away and the signal has been solid. Since I've getting ready for my IFR checkride, I've been using the green needles more than the GPS (Garmin 355). The Dynon autopilot has tracked both green needle and GS on ILS approaches. Will let everybody know when software update has been released.
Flying RV-7/N74RV
Flying Cessna 140
Dues Paid
Old 11-10-2022, 10:12 AM

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the great updates on your TRIG T56 and Dynon integration. I'm also looking at replacing my Garmin GTR200 with a TRIG T56 to provide a Nav radio to my Skyview HDX.

Couple of questions. Does the Trig tray fit in the exact panel space as the GTR200 tray, it seems to bee the same size? Or was some modification required? Is the quality of the Trig com radio seem as good as the Garmin 200? And finally, could you share your wiring setup so I could see the work required to rewire the com and add the nav to my Dynon system.

Thanks,
Paul

RV-12, N623RV
Kit #120881
HIcks Field (T67)
Old 11-10-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpchastain View Post
SNIP Is the quality of the Trig com radio seem as good as the Garmin 200? SNIP
Based on my experience with the Trig radio used by Dynon, and my long ferry flight with a GTR-200, Id rank any Trig radio well above the GTR-200.

Carl
Old 11-10-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Easy swap

Hey Paul,

I actually dry fit the TX56 in the Garmin 200 tray and it fit exactly the same so no panel cutting. That is one reason I chose the TRIG TX56, all I had to do physically was swap trays and re-wire the sub-D harness. I reused the Garmin 200 wire harness, just re-pinned to the new sub-D for the Comm side and added the harness for the Nav side via RS232. It actually took longer to run the archer antenna coax cable then anything else. I dont have the actual pin-out handy but the TX56 Installation manual has the example for Dynon/Garmin pin out and configuration. The quality of the Trig TX56 is impressive, its Garmin quality or better. The sub-D's, wiring and accessory parts are top quality, very detailed Installation manual. I've been flying alot at night and its the only display I dont have to either decrease "dim" or increase "dim". The photosensors on the Garmin and Dynon "dim" to dark for my tast but the yellow readout in the TX56 is always crisp and not bright, really good at night. All the garmin radios have "green" readouts but the TRIG yellow readouts seem more clear to me but that is just my opinion. Bottom line- really liked the Garmin 200 (that reminds me I need to put it up for sale) but the COM/NAV Trig is amazing. Its my primary Nav source right now in training. Hope that helps.
Flying RV-7/N74RV
Flying Cessna 140
Dues Paid
Old 11-10-2022, 02:18 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear that the swap was straight forward and didn't require any modification of your panel. Also, good to hear that the radio works well and has similar quality to the Garmin. Or better per Carl's experience. That's good news on my decision to get the Trig!

Re-pining the com side from the Garmin 200 to the TX56 seems pretty straightforward based on the pinout info in the TX56 install manual. However, the Trig install manual and Dynon 3rd part connection manual seem to indicate that all the SL30 or GNC 255 Nav data communication is over the two RS232 (TX & RX) pins to the Dynon Serial ports (RX & TX respectively). The Trig RS232 pins are both on the TRIG'S com D-sub connector. It seems the only connections needed on the Trig Nav D-sub are power and ground. Is that how you wired it or am I miss-reading the install manuals?

Thanks,
Paul

RV-12, N623RV
Kit #120881
HIcks Field (T67)