What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stab Attach Plate Crack

Also, I noticed when you look at the drawing you cannot see a washer with the bolt however, in the text of the drawing it specifically says to install a washer.

To clarify, the text of the drawing specifies 1 washer per bolt/nut and following standard practice the washer would go under the nut rather than the bolt head.

Had a look at my F-918 today and after 430 hrs there are no cracks/problems. However I will install a washer under the bolt heads.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Ok, on July 4 th with some help from fellow EAA Ch 186 and RV Community pilots we removed the vert stab and rudder, r&r rivets, replaced F198 with recommended washers. Next Saturday, my condition inspection should be done in time for OSH. My A&P/IA and EAA member said looks great, good catch, see ya next week.

Thanks to everyone and especially Van's for your information and advice.

This is my first post, and I want to advise what I found removing the panels and fairings for my condition inspection.

While doing the Condition Inspection on my RV9A I found this fault on the vertical stabilator attach plate F-981. For the RV9A this part is visible after removing the vertical stabilizer fairing. It is the top right bolt on F-981. You can see the crack is prevalent on the right side of the bolt and extends left of the bolt about a 1/16. In addition, you can see all four-attachment boltholes are elongated. It is obvious at some point the attachment bolts holes had been re-drilled and to move the vertical stabilator boltholes upwards thus lowering the whole assembly. You can also see the bushing for the manual trim cable is missing. The repair is to remove the whole empennage and carefully drill out the rivets, replace F-981. Both parts $6.83 from Van?s. Hours to repair??.. a few. So while the tail is off I will be looking for other obvious anomalies.

The original builder completed the airplane in 2001; I am the third owner after the builder. Total airframe time is 815 hours. I want others to see taking off that fairing and not just for a quick look deserves the attention to really inspect the attach points.

The pictures are at the following link if I goober the picture post here. http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh616/RV9aer/[/IMG]

N994KSF-9812.jpg

N994KSF-9811.jpg
Rob:

Have you received an response that you are satisfied with?
Here is what I see:
1 - The crack is in line with the bold diameter.
2 - The crack is horizontal.
3 - There is a bend/curve the bracket RIGHT at the C/L of the crack.
4 - There is no washer under the head of the bolt.
5 - Question: How much clearance did you have between the bolt and the metal?
6 - Question: How much torque was applied to the bolt?
All these things put together, especially the curve would cause a crack.

Barry

I hope that as everyone inspects their HS and elevator that they are also taking a look at their VS attach bracket at the same time.

Installed the anti splat vertical support

I just installed the anti splat vertical support on my 7a. It's worth 50 bucks for me to beef this up before I spin this thing during phase I. I would spend 51 bucks in Motrin worrying.

Reason for this post is to thank Allen. The bracket I received was different for my rv7a than the one online. I sent an email to the online comment line and within a few minutes the man himself called me to explain the difference. I was also benefited by Allen explaining some engineering concepts.

Thanks Allen, vert stab Bracket installed yesterday, phase I acro planned when the weather clears.

Back