What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cjensen

Well Known Member
There's the number! 16,225 rivets in my airplane to the point of being ready for inspection!

6-9-10-005w.jpg

I will have a few more when I get to the plate nuts for the wheel pants, but I don't know when that will be. So...to build an RV-7 to inspection readiness, one will use approximately 16,225 rivets, plus or minus a hundred or so depending on mods I would say.

:cool: :eek:

More detailed count?

I would like to know how many rivet are added or subtracted with each different modification, that way one could determine to move forward with that mod or not based on the added number of rivets. ;)

Looking good Chad.

Ben

I want the 1949 Buick Roadmaster convertible......maybe some of the ability to do math would rub off on me if I drove it around for a while.

Good for you Chad!!!!! I'm at about the same stage with the RV8.

David Watson
49FD

problem with rivet count?

Why is there an odd number of rivets?

Seems like it should be an even number. I think you need to recount.

Chad, You are a glutton for punishment!
First for keeping track of all those rivets :rolleyes:
Second for posting it on here! :eek:

symmetry plane rivets

I think there is an even number of rivet patterns with rivets on the symmetry plane, so there STILL should be an even number total.;)

Oh man! I was sure there were more. So us slow build folks are the over 16,000 gang. Nice ring

Probably due to the rivets that occur in the plane of symmetry. But, yeah, best to count them again to be certain.

Count the number of rivets on the centerline. If there is an odd number, you're good to go. If not, count the number of rivets in the trim tab.
We'll get this thing ironed out even if we have to moderate something!

Rivet metrics

Have you divided the # of rivets by build hours? Then you could get average time per rivet and really enhance your interactive bandwidth....

Count the number of rivets on the centerline. If there is an odd number, you're good to go. If not, count the number of rivets in the trim tab.
We'll get this thing ironed out even if we have to moderate something!

LOL!! Thanks Mel...:p:D

Chad,

How much have you spent on the plane, I’m curious as to what the cost per rivet is. (Based on your count, mine was $4.01 per rivet)

Have you weighed it yet? (I know you were working on making it as light as you could.) If so, what’s the weight per rivet? (.98 ounces per rivet for me)

One other thing, what is the breakdown by rivet type and length?

Congratulations! When is the inspection?

Last edited:
LOL! I can answer a couple of these right now...

Chad,

How much have you spent on the plane, I?m curious as to what the cost per rivet is. (Based on your count, mine was $4.01 per rivet)
Mine is $3.49 per rivet...
Have you weighed it yet? (I know you were working on making it as light as you could.) If so, what?s the weight per rivet? (.98 ounces per rivet for me)
Hehe...I like this one! But I don't know yet. Weighing it next weekend on the 19th.
One other thing, what is the breakdown by rivet type and length?
Half of one type, half of the other and more or less of the length. ;)
Congratulations! When is the inspection?
Thanks Bill! July 6th!

Rivets, schmivets ...

.... I like the look of that SJ long cowl on the taildragger !!!! Looks like 200mph just sittin' in the hangar, man !

Sure wish I could come up for the inspection.
I know I can find that missing rivet!

Chad, great news! I've followed your Builder's Log.

I have a similar MGL Odyssey EFIS as you have in my 8a. Did you ever work all the bugs out of the AP system? I'm painting my pieces at home to ship to the hanger for final assembly. Hope to met you flying someday, Congrads!, Bill

I have a similar MGL Odyssey EFIS as you have in my 8a. Did you ever work all the bugs out of the AP system? I'm painting my pieces at home to ship to the hanger for final assembly. Hope to met you flying someday, Congrads!, Bill

Hey Bill,

I don't have the AP servo's purchased yet, so I don't have any issues to resolve. Been waiting on other people to work them out before I buy. ;)

Back