What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR Inspection - what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Build9A

Well Known Member
I have read that differenct DARs take different approaches to their inspections. I will be inspected in two weeks and would like to hear about your DAR experience and maybe some "common errors" or any changes/fixes that your DAR required prior to 1st flight. thanks, jack RV9A

I had the FAA do my inspection. It's free if you can get them to do it. Anyway, here's what I did:

Have all your paperwork ready

Have an inspection check list ready

Have all your builder logs, engine log, prop log, POH, A folder with all your manuals and certs for your equipment installed. Any inspection sheets from your Tech Counsellor. Display these near the plane.

Have your flight testing plan made out and available.

Have all the removable inspection covers off, cowl off, seats out, carpet out, covers off, basically everything off and open like an annual inspection. Neatly display all the items removed.

Have the plane and surrounding area as neat and tidy as possible.

Be proffesional, accommodating, helpful, but don't volunteer any info not asked for.

Have coffee and cringle or danish.

You should have gotten an amateur built package from the FAA. This will be helpful in getting everything ready.

All these things help show the inspector the detail and depth of thought that went into your building process and test flying plans. The more organized and professional you look, the less likely you will be scrutinized and nitpic'd unnecessarily by the inspector.

Hope this helps,

Roberta Hegy,
Been there, twice!!

DAR checklist (VERY long)

I have attached a checklist of items needed to issue a Special Airworthiness Certificate to an Amateur Built experimental aircraft. Please make sure that fuel grade and QUANTITY at the fuel tanks, Left, Right, Off or On / Off fuel selector labels, on / off on electrical switches, and a few other required labels that I am finding are getting missed by builders.

A sample Program Letter can be found in AC 20-27F APPENDIX 13.

The application for airworthiness and the Eligibility statement can be downloaded. The Eligibility statement (FAA Form 8130.12) is required to be notarized.

Here are links to the forms that will need completed.
Application for Airworthiness Certificate FAA Form 8130-6
http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/8130-6.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/8130-6.doc

Eligibility Statement FAA Form 8130-12
http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8130-12.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/8130-12.doc

A good FAA Link to info on Amateur Built aircraft can be found at:
http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/av-info/dst/amateur/default.htm

AC20-27F, Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft, This AC provides information and guidance in the building, certification and operation of amateur-built aircraft.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/1ab39b4ed563b08985256a35006d56af/0ca2845e2aafffbb86256dbf00640cb2/$FILE/AC20-27F.pdf

AC90-89A, Amateur-Built Aircraft & Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook, This AC sets forth suggestions and safety related recommendations to assist amateur and ultralight builders in developing individualized aircraft flight test plans.
http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/av-info/dst/amateur/ac90-89a.pdf

There is also a lot of good information on licensing your homebuilt in the EAA Members Only section under Homebuilders.
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/ They have a section on registering
http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/registering/index.html and Testing http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/testing/index.html your homebuilt aircraft.

Here is the Checklist to get an airworthiness certificate for your Amateur Built Aircraft:

At the time of application for your Airworthiness Certification ?
(a) The aircraft should be complete in every respect, and?
(b) The Applicant must submit all required documentation.

The aircraft must be in a condition for safe operation for the issuance of an Airworthiness Certificate.

The following must have been done.
[ ] Construction log for the project, photos taken during construction, and log entries describing inspections must be available. (FSDO will also want to see this to get your Repairman Certificate)
[ ] Instrument markings and placards required by 91.9 are completed.
[ ] Labels on fuel grade and QUANTITY at the fuel tanks, fuel selector labels, on / off electrical switches.
[ ] The marking requirements of FAR Part 45 have been complied with, including permanent attached of a fireproof aircraft Identification (date) plate, permanent application of appropriate Registration marks, and the word EXPERIMENTAL near each entrance. [See FAR 45.22 (b)(1) for exemptions. Be prepared to SHOW for allowed deviation with copy of documentation.]
[ ] Passenger Warning placard displayed in the cockpit in full view of all occupants (not required for single-place aircraft).
?PASSENGER WARNING ? THIS AIRCRAFT IS AMATEUR BUILT AND DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE FEDERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR STANDARD AIRCRAFT?
[ ] TSO-C91A ELT installed 91.207 (except single seat)
[ ] Pitot / Static Transponder test completed (91.413)
[ ] Aircraft logbook, Engine logbook, and propeller logbook are available. (3 separate logbooks recommended but not required)
[ ] A condition inspection in accordance with the scope and details of Appendix D of FAR 43 has been completed by the owner / builder and an entry made in the aircraft log recording the inspection with the following or similarly worded statement. ?I certify this aircraft has had a condition inspection in accordance with the scope and details of Appendix D of FAR 43 and has been found in a condition for safe operation.? The entry will include the date, the aircraft total time in service, and the name, signature, and certificate type and number of the person performing the inspection. This condition inspection does not need to be done by an A&P. The Owner / Builder can do this inspection.
[ ] If a 25 hour Phase I test period is desired, a certificated engine and prop combination must be used. The owner / builder must show and the FAA must find that the engine and prop meet their Type Certificate and all ADs are complied with. (Please include a copy of the compliance list to show compliance with Type Certificate.)

Required documentation:
[ ] Original Application for Airworthiness Certificate FAA Form 8130-6, completed in sections I, II, and III. (Sign in blue ink)
[ ] Original Eligibility Statement FAA Form 8130-12 completed in sections I, II, and III and notarized in section IV. (Sign in blue ink)
[ ] Copy of a three-view drawing or photographs of the aircraft as required by FAR section 21.193.
[ ] Copy of the Weight and Balance to include most forward, most aft, gross weight CG and first flight calculations.
[ ] Copy of Registration AC Form 8050-3.

[ ] Copy of flight test program to show compliance with 91.319(b). (Use AC90-89A as a guide)
[ ] Program Letter

Will make one more post with a check list that one DAR uses on RVs. This is TOO long to post with it pasted in here.

:eek:

Hope this helps.
Gary

DAR Checklist used by one DAR on RVs

Now a sample DAR inspection Checklist used by one DAR on RVs:

Tail Number: _______________
Hobbs Reading:
Tach Reading:

Confirm all paperwork is complete, and a Builder's Log or similar type record of construction is available for review.
Application for Airworthiness Certificate, 8130-6. Signed.
Eligibility Statement Amateur-Built Aircraft, 8130-12. (Notarized)
Aircraft Weight and Balance Information.

Check Logbook entry:
?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.?

Airframe logbook S/N, N number, Make match
Engine Logbook S/N, Match, Model match
Propeller Logbook S/N, Match, Model match
(3 separate logs recommended)

PHOTO 2" EXPERIMENTAL placard
PHOTO Experimental Passenger warning
PHOTO Data Plate
PHOTO N number 3" for < 180 KCAS cruise else 12"
PHOTO Airplane

Left Put flaps down before starting Left Wing.
Wing: Left wing exterior
fuel cap for security
Fuel type / quanity
Left Wing tip
Left wing aileron bellcrank & attachments
Left wing interior
Left aileron balance weight
Left aileron push-pull tube attachment
Left aileron inboard attachment
Left aileron outboard attachment
Left Flap
Left Flap to Wing attachment
Left Flap to actuator
Left wing rear spar to fuselage attach hardware.
Left wing fuel tank spar to fuselage attach hardware.
Left wing fuselage to wing electrical plug
Left wing to fuselage fuel line
Left wing to fuselage vent line
Left wing to fuselage pitot / static lines

Right Put Flaps down before starting Right Wing.
Wing: Right wing exterior
fuel cap for security
Fuel type / quanity
Right Wing tip
Right wing aileron bellcrank & attachments
Right wing interior
Right aileron balance weight
Right aileron push-pull tube attachment
Right aileron inboard attachment
Right aileron outboard attachment
Right Flap
Right Flap to Wing attachment
Right Flap to actuator
Right wing rear spar to fuselage attach hardware.
Right wing fuel tank spar to fuselage attach hardware.
Right wing fuselage to wing electrical plug
Right wing to fuselage fuel line
Right wing to fuselage vent line
Right wing to fuselage pitot / static lines

Fuselage: Control sticks and mechanism
Left aileron push pull tube
Right aileron push pull tube
aileron trim system
elevator trim system
elevator control push - pull tube
fuel valve for operation / security
fuel placard
fuel lines
fuel lines for chafing / leaks / security / condition
fuel tank vent lines
primer lines
brake lines
flap mechanism
corrosion in tailcone area
inspect bulkheads and stringers for popped rivets and cracked skin
inspect security of internal lines
inspect security of internal wires / cables
inspect canopy for cracks and fit
inspect canopy latching mechanism
inspect firewall for distortion and cracks
inspect rudder pedals and brake operation
inspect behind panel for loose wires and chafing lines
Check flap control operation
check rudder cables
inspect cockpit instruments for markings
Compass
Compass Card
Experimental Passenger warning
inspect instrument lines
Altimeter / Encoder / Transponder ( 91.411 and 91.413 (a) or (b) )
inspect cockpit fresh air and heater
inspect seats, safety belts
ELT

Cockpit Interior Lights Illuminate
Cockpit Nav Lights Illuminate
Cockpit Strobe lights Illuminate
Cockpit Landing Lights Illuminate
Cockpit Check flap control operation
Cockpit Boost pump / pressure test gascolator
Cockpit Cycle engine controls
Cockpit Flight control operation
Cockpit Elevator Trim
Cockpit Aileron Trim

Main Landing Gear:
inspect for nose gear attachment at engine mount
inspect engine mount to fuselage
check nose gear attachment
check nose wheel assembly
check nose tire for serviceability
inspect for 5606 leaks
check left tire for serviceability
check left brake lining
check left disk for cracks, wear, deformity
check right tire for serviceability
check right brake lining
check right disk for cracks, wear, deformity

Empennage:
inspect horizontal attachment
inspect vertical attachment
inspect left elevator attachment
inspect left elevator balance weight
inspect left elevator
inspect left elevator trim tab
inspect right elevator attachment
inspect right elevator balance weight
inspect right elevator
inspect elevator push - pull tube rod ends
inspect tail spring to fuselage
inspect rudder cables
inspect control stops
inspect tailwheel to tail spring
inspect tail wheel chains / springs
inspect tailwheel

Engine:
inspect cowl
inspect cowl fasteners
inspect engine mount
inspect firewall
inspect baffles
inspect exhaust system & hanger
Check DATA plate
inspect carb / fuel injection system
inspect induction system and air filter
fuel lines for chafing / leaks / security / condition
inspect engine control cables
inspect engine systems
inspect alternator belt tension
perform compression check (Pull prop through for each cyl)

inspect ignition harness
safety gascolator

Propeller: HARTZELL PROPELLER 100 HOUR INSPECTION
Remove Spinner.
Inspect blades for nicks and cracks. Remove all nicks, gouges, etc.
Inspect hub parts for cracks and wear.
Check all visible parts for wear and safety.
CAUTION: Check for oil and grease leaks.
REMOVE THE LUBRICATION FITTINGS ON ONE HALF OF THE HUB UNIT BEFORE ADDING GREASE THROUGH THE LUBRICATION FITTINGS ON THE OTHER HALF OF THE HUB.

Logs:
Make entry in Log.

This airplane (list model, s/n) _____________________, registration number, N_____________ was inspected on ___/___/___. It was found eligible for the certificate requested. Entry was made in the airplane records and the appropriate limitations were issued. _________________________________________________
(Signature, FAA/DAR)

8130-6 VII J. Airworthiness Certificate issued in accordance with 21.191 (g)

Notes and comments:
3 logbooks (airframe, engine, prop) are not required but ONE logbook is. I recommmend 3 in case you ever swap engines or props.

FAR 91 requires that Transponder and encoder be tested.
Altimeter / Encoder / Transponder ( 91.411 and 91.413 (a) or (b) )
There is really no place in the regulations that require that this be done for the initial airworthiness inspection. FAR 91 requires that it be done to fly any aircraft that has the equipment every 24 calendar months.

The notes about lubing the Hartzell prop is for reference.

ELT is required in 2 seat aircraft.

Items that are not on the aircraft or not applicable are not checked off or are crossed off. Items can be written in if something different is seen. Most of the info from the checklist is transfered to FAA Form 8100-1 for the OFFICAL FAA Record of the inspection after the DAR returns home.

I above checklist was created in EXCEL and is available in PDF format. This is what it looks like after 11 AB DAR inspections over the past 10 months.

Gary

may depend on you and the acft

My inspection took 1 hour and 10 minutes, including paperwork. Same inspector has taken over half day on other RV's. If you have any doubts about passing inspection, due to "possibly substandard", or just plain ugly work, it will most likely take longer, as the inspector will have more serious doubts as well. By all means, have as many other builders check your plane first, and you can most if not all the gigs taken care of before the REAL inspector gets there! If you have the safety wire wound incorrectly, for instance, he will be looking much more closely at everything else. I was gigged for no weight limit placard on the baggage compartment.

Ask around your area about DAR's, I got a HUGE test area, as opposed to a -4 from Ohio, or Iowa or somewhere, where he basically had to do steep turns for 40 hours to stay in the test area. You would think it would be obvious that an RV needs more space to really test the acft than, say, a Kitfox.

Jeff

DAR inspection

What typically needs to be off for the DAR inspection?
Floors? Cowls? Wing root fairings? Empennage fairings?
Baggage compartment?

When the FAA does the inspection, all they require is for the cowlings, fairings, and inspection plates to be removed. I would not disassemble the interior and remove any floor panels, seats, etc.

I've been through this twice before and that's all I did. Now, I've heard that some of the DARs go way beyond that. Personally, I'd check with your closest GADO and see if they will do it before paying a DAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back