What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Arms of Various Items

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a list of the arms/positions of particular parts of the RV-10, such as the instrument panel, various bulkheads, etc.? Is there a real enough difference from aircraft to aircraft that these aren't published? It seems with a pre-punched kit, there could only be a few thousandths of an inch of a difference in these positions.

I ask because I don't see a good and reliable way to measure everything from the datum, which references the wing leading edge and is placed at an imaginary point forward of the aircraft. I suppose the wing leading edge could be marked on the sides of the fuselage and reference measurements be taken from those marks.

Datum line

Since we know the datum line, every position fore or aft of that line can easily be measured.
I suppose the wing leading edge could be marked on the sides of the fuselage and reference measurements be taken from those marks.
Seems simple enough, not sure why you want a list of things other than what is needed to calculate W&B when loading the plane??
No one I know of has changed the position of the instrument panel or bulkheads.
In any case, items installed in those fixed positions don't change after completing the airplane and weight and balance calculations.
Just curious, what would you do with that knowledge?

Since we know the datum line, every position fore or aft of that line can easily be measured.

Seems simple enough, not sure why you want a list of things other than what is needed to calculate W&B when loading the plane??
No one I know of has changed the position of the instrument panel or bulkheads.
In any case, items installed in those fixed positions don't change after completing the airplane and weight and balance calculations.
Just curious, what would you do with that knowledge?

I would use it to plan the locations of various items and later to calculate changes in the W&B if items were to be removed and replaced.

I'm not sure how easily every position can be measured, as you assert, since most of the items are inside the airframe and you can't exactly drop a plumb line from them. Knowing the positions of reference points on the airframe would help a lot.

Also, I'm a long way from installing the wings and there is no way for me to take said measurements at this point; so I'm asking if anyone else has in the past.

Both certified planes I have owned have come with a list of individual equipment and arm lengths; I was hoping to make similar documentation for my airplane. I'd like to do something other than guess at locations and hope the W&B comes out ok once I weigh the airplane as completed.

Last edited:
Back