What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 Throttle Quadrant

dsteed

I'm New Here
I’m a new RV-6 owner and looking forward to redoing the panel this fall. I’ve seen throttle quadrants similar to what’s used on a Piper and I’d like to find one. Any insight on where I could find one would be appreciated.

I actually took a Cherokee quadrant and made it work. Had to fab some parts, shorten the arms, and I think I modified it so the cable exit angle was better. Sorry I've forgotten all the details. I made new side plates out of aluminum so it would look better and not need the piper plastic cover.

throttle

Just had an idea & made it work. Lots of fabrication involved
This plane had an early generation SDS EFI/EI so just needed Throttle, (second lever operated a alternate coolant rad water valve for a Turbo Subie).
I tool a 3 lever quadrant & eliminated one lever, replaced the side aluminum plates for 2 reshaped plates that extended up to the bottom lip of the panel, and extended forward to the sub panel. The 2 side V shaped switch panels helped to stabilize the quadrant.

Attachments

• throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
I read the title and immediately thought you were trying to run 6 tiny engines on the plane. Might be time to stop drinking for the evening....

Do what you want, but I find it extremely beneficial from an ease of maintenance and comfort factor to NOT have even the standard center bar below my panel. I don't have to remove a thing or play human pretzel to climb into (or out of) the footwell, or to put my right leg on the passenger side of the airplane on a long X/C when I need to shift positions.

Throttle quadrants are not easy. I have done 2 with 2 different throttle levers. Both were harder work that I imagined at the outset. I would start with one of Dayton's curved top quadrants (https://www.djmmfg.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CMCT2L) and a new vertical panel that joins the panel to the top of the spar. Modify that panel to accept the quadrant. I would add an extension forward to attach the cable. Then figure out the length of throttle cable required - a little long is no problem. I would suggest having only the throttle on the quadrant and the mixture, [prop] and carb heat as push/pull or verniers. You will have to buy a 2 control quadrant, just use a small piece of 1/8" al to fill the gap. Good luck!

Just as a side note to my prior post-
If you are thinking of doing formation flying in your future, the slanted back quadrant arrangement (pictured in my prior post) would not be ideal for this type operation as the 45 deg slanted upward movement of the throttle is not as easily articulated compared to the horizontally oriented quadrants in a RV8. Formation flying requires near constant throttle movement, in 6/7/9/14 panels the stock control cable works best IMO.

Last edited:
Looking at the quadrant another way.
Have you ever wanted to stretch our leg?? That quadrant isn't going to allow much of that.
I'm 6' 3" and enjoy being able to push the blue button (auto pilot) and stretch to the other side If I'm solo.
Just a thought. Art

Yes, there are trade offs in going with a quadrant vs stock cable controls.

Per the quadrant example pictured in post#4:

I honestly can't remember how I was able to squeeze under that panel to do all the systems & wiring & such, I was younger and had the ability to twist myself like a pretzel I guess, but did it never the less (sure couldn't do that today!)

The owner did request the throttle lever knobs be about the same vertical height as stock cable knobs would be, therefore the quadrant was mounted about 2" below the main instrument panel. He wanted the lever knobs to be at a comfortable height, not feel like he was reaching upwards all the time.

The owner was at least 6'1". He was able to stretch out his right leg to the side a bit, evidenced by the paint scratches to the center floor cover plate by his heal.

Back