What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proper rivet size

KellyA

What would the part number be for a blind rivet to fit in a 3/32” hole? I want a few extras to use where a simple AN426AD3-3.5 has a close fit and hard to get a bucking bar under. Thank you in advance. Reason I’m asking is, I cannot get my hand with a bucking bar up to the leading edge rivets on the horizontal stabilizer to rivet the skin to the front tip of the rib. I talked to Vans tech support and was told I cannot use a MK319BS rivet in that spot because it is on a RV8 aerobatic airplane. Can I drill it out to 1/8” and use a AD41-ABS blind rivet?

Last edited:
Not sure why you cannot use MK319BS there. It is similar in strength to AD3 (a bit stronger in tensile and much stronger in shear). At least, superficially, based on the numbers I got from random internet sources :D. AD-41-ABS is actually less strong.

I was confused about all these blind rivets I got in the RV-7 empennage kit, so I collected the data in a table: https://ivan.aero/rivets

Last edited:
CherryMac

Download the CherryMax table. They make #3 flush rivets.
Or
Find a builder nearby who's done it. It can be done.

CS4-4

The RV-6 HS has some rivets that are inaccessible for bucking on the middle nose rib on each side and the plans specify CS4-4 rivets at 1.25" spacing for these. Other rivets are generally all AN426AD3-x. The CS4-4 is 1/8 dia but the head is smaller than on AN426AD4 rivet. Maybe this helps.

What would the part number be for a blind rivet to fit in a 3/32” hole? I want a few extras to use where a simple AN426AD3-3.5 has a close fit and hard to get a bucking bar under. Thank you in advance. Reason I’m asking is, I cannot get my hand with a bucking bar up to the leading edge rivets on the horizontal stabilizer to rivet the skin to the front tip of the rib. I talked to Vans tech support and was told I cannot use a MK319BS rivet in that spot because it is on a RV8 aerobatic airplane. Can I drill it out to 1/8” and use a AD41-ABS blind rivet?

Legit may be a dumb question but, what bucking bar are you using?

Find a builder nearby who's done it. It can be done.

Yes, and if someone is deviating from the plans already at the earliest part of the build, I'd suggest that they get someone to help them before proceeding further.

There are literally thousands of 7s and 8s and whatnot out there with solid rivets in the HS leading edge...just sayin'.

There are literally thousands of 7s and 8s and whatnot out there with solid rivets in the HS leading edge...just sayin'.

That is true, but also I think it would be helpful to understand what is (structurally) wrong with MK-319-BS where. I don't have RV-8 plans, and I might be misunderstanding which part we are talking about, but RV-7 plans explicitly allow MK-319-BS on the bottom side. See attached image.

Attachments

• mk319bs.png
    mk319bs.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 139
Most pulled rivets have lower strength than solid rivets. Not always the case, but generally so.

Thanks a lot everyone. I ended up finding my plans sheet for the horizontal stabilizer (stored away while finishing other tail sections and waiting on inspection). The plans do call for MK-319-BS on the front of HS708 rib. So I ordered 50 rivets from Vans and also ordered CCC-32 rivets from Aircraft Spruce which are very close to specs on the MK rivet and one-third the price.

Back