What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

newbie question on part orientation

Cholley6

So, I have started the emp kit for a 10. Made it through the vertical stabilizer with no big issues. Starting in on section 7 and as I cut out the stiffeners I am confused as to which way the part is bent in the drawing. Is the flange bent away from me or toward me in the drawing? I noticed the holes that will be riveted to the skin are slightly higher for one side than the other, but I don't quite grasp which is which. I am sure I've missed this explanation somewhere in the plans.

I can't speak to your question specifically however I came across similar issues when building a 14. I found that at times the printed drawings just were not clear enough with fine details. I went to the digital drawings and enlarged the view on a computer and found much greater detail which helped clear up orientation questions.

Hard to say without seeing what you’re seeing.

Convention:

Dashed line = hidden. Feature is on opposite side
Solid line = visible/near side.

Yes, it’s a sub-fundamental answer but you’re probably just a better view resolution from your own answer. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Flange bend

Page 7-5 of the plans gives a better view of the direction of how the part looks after being trimmed. The angled piece on either end with the raised ear will be trimmed to the notch at the curve. The two holes on the ear will then be overlapped. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 5C431649-EBA8-43D5-A7B6-77B13F8950C3.jpg
    5C431649-EBA8-43D5-A7B6-77B13F8950C3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 90
Back