What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner Alignment help

findane

I purchased the Van's spinner kit for my new Prince Prop. I'm having a very difficult time aligning the spinner. Using a laser I can eliminate any wobble in the spinner. However, with the wobble eliminated the rear spinner edge does not align with the back edge of the rear bulkhead on one side. I end up with a 1/4" gap on the rear bulkhead.

I have sufficient gap spinner to prop. I've confirmed the bulkheads are parallel. I used the laser on both bulkheads to make sure they were not somehow twisted. I lightly sanded the inside of the spinner where the front bulkhead rests to eliminate any bumps or extra epoxy.

It's either the spinner aligns with the rear bulkhead and I get a wobble or no wobble but the spinner back edge does not align with the rear bulkhead. Is it possible Van's sent me a warped spinner? Any ideas or suggestions?

FYI, if you have the May EAA Sport Aviation magazine I'm the guy on page 75

spinner alignment

Eliminate the spinner wobble. You do not want it to wobble (it may cause engine/prop vibration, and looks kind of "eeeewwwww" when running....it may also want to depart the airplane if the wobble is bad enough for long enough).

The back edge of the spinner can be carefully sanded down to fit (as in not overhanging the spinner back-plate too much). Just make it parallel to or even with the spinner bulk-head edge.

I seem to remember having to trim mine a bit. Not because it wobbled, but because the overhang was more than I wanted.

Back