What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measure Cable Length

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy Everyone. I am starting to figure out my throttle, mix and prop cable requirements. Is there a simple/standard way to measure length? I installed a quadrant and need to measure cable length to/from the various components.

Much obliged.

I used old TV coax cable, RG-59. Similar diameter and stiffness. Worked out the routing with it and marked and/or cut. Then removed and measured.

At the recommendation of AeroSport (Geoff), I used "weed wacker" trimmer line (I think it was .095") to measure my lengths from the quadrant to each control arm. Worked well, and my cables were the right length when installed.

Just another option to consider.

Am I measuring the length of the covering shroud which will be fixed at both ends, or the length of the inner cable which will do the actuation?

If measuring the covering, then I'd want to measure from the attachment forward of the throttle quadrant to the receiving bracket on the engine.

If measuring the inner moving cable, it seems to me that I'd want to measure from (for example) the throttle lever when fully aft to the lever on the servo when fully forward?

Or do I own that girl an apology?

Back