What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage loading changes with power settings

Tommy Kossak

I'm New Here
Hi , I'm new here , not yet RV builder but 3rd owner of RV6A, kindly asking for information and guidance. Also please excuse my english as it's not my first language .
While changing my power settings ,adding power , my voltage indicator shows a drop from 14 v to around 13/12,5 v. This also happened when using push to talk radio button. My suspicion is that the Voltage Regulator may be down. The builder used a TRANSPO M5-130A model but I can't find one to buy. Is there other model of VR that could replace this M5-130A?
I have a Lycoming O-320 installed .
Thank you in advance for helping out with information.

May be a bad ground. Try running a temporary ground wire from your regulator to your battery ground.

voltage regulator is not where I would start with those symptoms. I would be looking for a loose wire or bad crimp in the wiring. It could be in the alternator or VR wiring or it could be in the wiring to the volt meter or possibly a ground issue.

The fact that you can drop voltage by transmitting on the radio likely means that a feed wire somewhere cannot pass enough current. Adding engine RPM should help with alternator output, so more likely it is causing a wire to wiggle, changing the voltage behavior.

If you want to do it anyways, any voltage regulator from a 70's vintage ford/lincoln will work. You can search here for part numbers.

Larry

Thank you for guidance , I will check for weak points in wiring first.
I did a short flight yesterday to gather mor info and be sure what is happening and definitely the voltage meter is swimming between 14 and 12 V. Pushing power over 2100 RPM makes Voltage drop and it comes up by itself then down again . Radio transmission seems not to have an effect on voltage indications.
Thank you all , good to be here .

hi tom: check and set alternator belt tension in accordance
with lycoming instructions ? inspect belt condition?
i chased electrical gremlins for a week on my rv-6a.
tightened belt and all was well again. just my experience,yours may vary.
good luck
. larry

Last edited:
Hello,
Once again thank you all for troubleshooting my issue ...it turned out to be a ....yes, loose GROUND cable that is hidden in back of my alternator . Not the ground running to VR but a 2 inch little ground cable that is hidden from sight and only after disassembly alternator I found a loose screw that wasn't holding the cable tight . My RV is now happy and flying . THANKS !:)

Back