What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Horn Bushing

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
New rudder horns ship with a bushing pressed in for cables.

I'm rebuilding my rudder (wind damage) and got an older kit that doesn't have the bushing. Any recommendations on what to use? Techniques on interference fit with and horn already installed?

An alternative is just to use a 3/16 I-bolt on the horn and hook the chains to that. Has worked well for 700 hours.

Going this route may result in having to drill a smaller hole in the horn than you might for bushing. (At least with the older horns you dont have a lot of room for edge distance. I wanted to preserve as much as possible.)

Hope this helps..

An alternative is just to use a 3/16 I-bolt on the horn and hook the chains to that. Has worked well for 700 hours.

Going this route may result in having to drill a smaller hole in the horn than you might for bushing. (At least with the older horns you dont have a lot of room for edge distance. I wanted to preserve as much as possible.)

Hope this helps..
There is no chain in the A model.

To the Op, are you planning on using the existing horn when you rebuild? Unless it was very expensive, I would also replace the horn as well.

There is no chain in the A model.

To the Op, are you planning on using the existing horn when you rebuild? Unless it was very expensive, I would also replace the horn as well.

Thought about that. The the aircraft is still flyable, so doing the complete build then swapping it out.

Bushings are normally considered replaceable so Van's should have them for sale. Drill your old horn for them, press in and Bob's your uncle.

If the horn is already installed, you can press in with a pneumatic squeezer or C-clamp. If it's a loose shoulder bushing, you can squeeze it tight then ream the hole as needed.

Last edited:
Horn for sale...

I have a "spare" R-405PD that I'll gladly sell...PM if interested.

Van's will sell you the VA-137 bushing (.190x.250x.125) for $4.75ea.

I have a "spare" R-405PD that I'll gladly sell...PM if interested.

Van's will sell you the VA-137 bushing (.190x.250x.125) for $4.75ea.

Thanks for the offer but other horn is already installed. I'll put in an order with Van's...I need another part anyway.

Bushing/bearing replacement

A bolt & nut and a couple of sockets bigger and smaller than what you pressing is a great way to press things in and out with out putting undue loads on the horn.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back