Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-14 View Post
Steve, my sending units were installed following CiES installation instructions, CiES then instructed me to wire them in to my G3X as per Garmin's wiring schematics and instructions. When the sending units failed to respond to float arm movement on my displays after doing this, I contacted CiES and they suggested I run power off the buss directly to the sending units and not from my GEA24. When this didn't change anything they suggested I talk to Garmin tech support, who in turn said they were not familiar with the CiES sending units and I should talk to CiES, after going in circles like this for a while, my only choice appeared to be "change things to see what does and what doesn't work", or pull them back out, take my time and money losses and go back to the old school Vans senders. Walter
Walter,

According to the CiES STC installation manual, their fuel level probes can be ordered with either a Frequency, Resistance, or Voltage output signal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CiES Fuel Probe Options.png
Views:	51
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24122

You can't call up Garmin and expect them to help if you cannot tell them which of these probe types (or yet another style) you have.

Steve
Old 04-03-2022, 06:05 PM

Default CiES Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-14 View Post
Thanks to everyone for trying to help me sort this out, it is very much appreciated. Steve, my sending units were installed following CiES installation instructions, CiES then instructed me to wire them in to my G3X as per Garmin's wiring schematics and instructions. When the sending units failed to respond to float arm movement on my displays after doing this, I contacted CiES and they suggested I run power off the buss directly to the sending units and not from my GEA24. When this didn't change anything they suggested I talk to Garmin tech support, who in turn said they were not familiar with the CiES sending units and I should talk to CiES, after going in circles like this for a while, my only choice appeared to be "change things to see what does and what doesn't work", or pull them back out, take my time and money losses and go back to the old school Vans senders.
Mark or Kea, if you could tell me what pins your senders are connected to on the GEA24, and whether on digital or volt settings it would be very much appreciated! Thanks again. Walter
There are both 12V and 5V power pins on the GEA 24. If these sensors are connected to the 5V power source, they will not operate properly, but the 12V power source should work. I suspect that may have been the first problem. The configuration in the display may be the next culprit, and needs to be set depending on which output is being used from the CiES sensor, analog or digital. We will get the Installation Documents updated to provide guidance for these sensors.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Default G3X Touch using CiES

Slowly builing RV10 - Having same problem - little help from Garmin or CiES to date. My CiES have "RV10 LH or RH INBD" etched on them with serial 501-101 & 102 (red, black & blue wires). checked out with oscilloscope - pulse output varied with float movement. Connected blue freq wire to GEA24 J244 #6 & black gnd to #7 and 9 $ 10 for other unit. Red pwr to auxiliary fuse box for 12v. checked CiES body to plane for grounding.
Under Garmin "configuration" choose digital - gives "red bars"
Under "calibrate" - shows freq line but no value.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Slowly builing RV10 - Having same problem - little help from Garmin or CiES to date. My CiES have "RV10 LH or RH INBD" etched on them with serial 501-101 & 102 (red, black & blue wires). checked out with oscilloscope - pulse output varied with float movement. Connected blue freq wire to GEA24 J244 #6 & black gnd to #7 and 9 $ 10 for other unit. Red pwr to auxiliary fuse box for 12v. checked CiES body to plane for grounding.
Under Garmin "configuration" choose digital - gives "red bars"
Under "calibrate" - shows freq line but no value.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Gulf,

Was your wiring done like this (especially the grounding)?

I think this should work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CiES Fuel Probe Wiring.png
Views:	78
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24279

Steve
Old 04-06-2022, 10:40 PM

Decided to update GDU460 - had original version - didn't seem to help. Added ground from black wire connected to J244 #7 to power source ground - didn't help. Turned system off & on several times as well as unplugging J244. Then without any clear reason a frequency 0f ~90HZ appeared from both CiES senders on the GDU configuration mode (Fuel 1L & Fuel 2R Digital calibration pages). Right sender worked with or without added ground from power source. Left has only been wired with blue frequency wire to J244 #9, and black and red wired to power source from the start. The only other change made was to replace 1 amp fuses with 5 shown in Steve's drawing? Turned system on-off several times and senders continued to display frequency from each sender.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:11 PM

Any updates on this install?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:57 AM

Default CiES Fuel Sensors

We will include interface information for these sensors in the forthcoming update to our installation manual. Due to the electrical characteristics of these sensors, power and ground should not be sourced from the GEA 24 or GSU 73. The sensor output (either Blue or Green wire on Fuel sensor) is the only wire that should be connected to the G3X Touch system.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:16 PM

Default CIES problem

Have G3X installation on RV10 - it wouldn't work - after several hours of this and that and several phone calls to CIES, Garmin and Van's I was at end! Fortunately noticed when pulling connector slightly away from GEA the G3X worked fine? I used shielded wire for data line, which appears to significantly disturb the signal when grounded. I have disconnected the shield from the connector and both senders work fine.