What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Geology survey

A5555

Well Known Member
does anyone have experience doing geology surveys like these folks?

https://www.usgs.gov/news/technical-announcement/low-level-flights-image-3d-geology-northern-arkansas-0

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/eon-geosciences-piper-navajo-airplane-tail-stinger-magnetometer

http://www.eongeosciences.com/

equipment.

http://www.eongeosciences.com/equipment/

EON%20Geosciences%20Piper%20Navajo.jpg

>>Moderator edit: Thread is revived. Steve started this thread because he's going to install similar equipment in his RV-9A. There. That makes this thread RV-related.<<

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it like LIDAR? I have had several LIDAR and photo topographic surveys. They were pretty expensive but they were for large parcels and cheaper than a survey crew and more in the mountains, more accurate.

I would love to learn more about what you are working on.

Is it like LIDAR? I have had several LIDAR and photo topographic surveys. They were pretty expensive but they were for large parcels and cheaper than a survey crew and more in the mountains, more accurate.

I would love to learn more about what you are working on.

no, this is not a terrain survey but for radiation mapping only.

NOAA uses small twins for GAMMA RADIATION of Snow Pack

The National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) has developed, and currently maintains, an operational Airborne Gamma Radiation Snow Survey Program to make airborne Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) and soil moisture measurements. Airborne SWE measurements are used by NWS Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) and NWS River Forecast Centers (RFC) when issuing river and flood forecasts, water supply forecasts, and spring flood outlooks.

2021 - 2022 Snow Season Surveys

My Daughter (Volcanologist) currently fly's twin Otters for NOAA and is moving to Hawaii this Spring with USGS as half owner of our RV9A and wants to ship it to Hawaii to fly around and study that active their Volcano with airborne instruments. Obviously, I object!

Last edited:
The National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) has developed, and currently maintains, an operational Airborne Gamma Radiation Snow Survey Program to make airborne Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) and soil moisture measurements. Airborne SWE measurements are used by NWS Weather Forecast Offices (WFO) and NWS River Forecast Centers (RFC) when issuing river and flood forecasts, water supply forecasts, and spring flood outlooks.

2021 - 2022 Snow Season Surveys

My Daughter (Volcanologist) currently fly's twin Otters for NOAA and is moving to Hawaii this Spring with USGS as half owner of our RV9A and wants to ship it to Hawaii to fly around and study that active their Volcano with airborne instruments. Obviously, I object!

I've seen photos of Volcano fly-bys from Vlad in Alaska. He has a 9A.

could there be room in the industry for a non-profit organization that could map a town or city for radiation quickly.

Experimental Mods

Hey Steve, Looking at that picture of the Navaho with really Long Stinger and some have large Belly Pods, brings to mind the approval process that may be needed to modify any certified aircraft as opposed the ease of making quick modifications to an Experimental. I assume you could gear up quickly and adapt to needed changes in your own built RV9A without the process of jumping through regulatory Hoops & approvals. The simple drawback would be size and weight limitations. :D

Hey Steve, Looking at that picture of the Navaho with really Long Stinger and some have large Belly Pods, brings to mind the approval process that may be needed to modify any certified aircraft as opposed the ease of making quick modifications to an Experimental. I assume you could gear up quickly and adapt to needed changes in your own built RV9A without the process of jumping through regulatory Hoops & approvals. The simple drawback would be size and weight limitations. :D

yep, may need some flight testing. :)

perhaps a couple aircraft flying in loose formation along a GPS mapped grid could cover more ground to conduct the surveys.

1. flight testing (check)
2. loose formation flying along GPS course, lower altitudes (check) (no smoke!)
3. is there enough benefit for the data (unknown)

Last edited:
Gamma, RF, IR, etc?

Steve, what type of radiation were you interested in? The equipment, size, weight, sensitivity, etc. will vary considerably.

Ron

Back