What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming the thick stuff

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Hello All!

I am at the step in my RV-14A project of building the longerons. The longerons are basically a C - channel (see page 29-07). These are some thicker parts and the instructions call for trimming material from one side of the C-channel. I usually use a bandsaw on the thicker stuff but its not possible for this application. It doesn't look like a hacksaw would work either. What is a good tool for trimming this stuff? Does Dremel have a cutoff wheel that would work for this? Its close to 1/8" thickness.

Thanks as Always!

Dremel tool

A dremel with a cutoff wheel is what I used. Get a pack of wheels I use mine all the time. Good luck

I would add that after the rough cut, with a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder or Dremel, use a vixen file to shave off aluminum, like a wood plane, to get to your final shape.

Be careful with a cutoff wheel.. if it clogs, don’t keep pushing it. It may overheat and explode. A portable handheld bandsaw converted to tabletop with a SWAG OFF-ROAD table is pretty awesome. It has the offset that allows you to cut longerons that a typical bandsaw won’t allow. Another option are those 4x6 bandsaws that are out there.

Depending on application, a variable speed jig saw with a FINE TOOTHED blade. I ground the back side down so the blade is 1/2 it's width. Grind slow and keep it cool. This allows you to make nice small radius cuts.

If needed, you can shorten the blade... place in a vise, snap off with pliers, clean up with grinder.....keep it cool.

Hello All!

I am at the step in my RV-14A project of building the longerons. The longerons are basically a C - channel (see page 29-07). These are some thicker parts and the instructions call for trimming material from one side of the C-channel. I usually use a bandsaw on the thicker stuff but its not possible for this application. It doesn't look like a hacksaw would work either. What is a good tool for trimming this stuff? Does Dremel have a cutoff wheel that would work for this? Its close to 1/8" thickness.

Thanks as Always!

Cutting metal, you need to lower the blade speed. Personally I started to use the electric jigsaw set on slow speed. But it was too cumbersome and the part heated up too much for my taste. I then switched to the using a good hacksaw on the few cuts that are needed to trim down the thicker angle material. This worked extremely fast and it was surprisingly precise (I spent many years woodworking so I am comfortable with hand saw) For hard to reach area, I used the Dremel tool with the cutoff wheel or grinding tool.

Back