What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Lock

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to the step where I will be installing the canopy latch. The JD Air latch looks great and I'm probably going to buy it, but I can't help but note that there is no locking option. How have you guys that are past this point installed a lock? I typically only lock my plane when I'm away from home, but I like having the option to do that given the remoteness of some airfields.

We've seen a lot of canopy locks for tipups (to include 7s and 9s) over the years. The most common approach is to use a cabinet style lock that has a steel tab that rotates 90 degrees. You position it so that it rotates in front of the latch handle so that it can't release.

The main comment I would add is to not locate the lock below the latch if you are planning to add any kind of interior treatment. If you place the lock above the latch handle, it will be much easier to work with, and look cleaner.

The image below shows a key lock that swings a flat lever up through the lower JDAir mounting bracket (slotted for this purpose) and then up through a manufactured gap in the actual lever above it. I took the Magneto switch lock to a local locksmith and told him to match that tumbler to the tumbler in a lockset you can buy there or most anywhere. I think the lock cost $6 and he charged $5 to match the tumbler pins. Thats how you lock it. You can adapt the flat metal locking bar to fit exactly to your installation required length.
FP30042015A0000K.jpg

FP30042015A0000J.jpg

I used the factory canopy latch. I drilled a hole through it for a padlock, which will allow me to lock the latch so it can't be opened. I will NEVER put a lock in it and I am often tempted to order a new C-607 latch handle so I can get rid of the stupid hole. Here's why...

If someone wants to steal my avionics and the canopy is unlocked, he will open the canopy, steal the avionics, and be on his way. My insurance company will buy me new avionics and I will go flying. I might even get a panel upgrade out of the deal.

If the canopy is locked, the thief will break the canopy, steal the avionics, and be on his way. My insurance company will send me money for new avionics and the cost of the parts to build the canopy. I will then spend A YEAR building a new canopy, buy new avionics, and finally go flying if I can still stomach it after that nightmare.

I built one canopy. That's enough for one lifetime.

If you're going to lock something, go with the gas caps.

I used the factory canopy latch. I drilled a hole through it for a padlock, which will allow me to lock the latch so it can't be opened. I will NEVER put a lock in it and I am often tempted to order a new C-607 latch handle so I can get rid of the stupid hole. Here's why...

If someone wants to steal my avionics and the canopy is unlocked, he will open the canopy, steal the avionics, and be on his way. My insurance company will buy me new avionics and I will go flying. I might even get a panel upgrade out of the deal.

If the canopy is locked, the thief will break the canopy, steal the avionics, and be on his way. My insurance company will send me money for new avionics and the cost of the parts to build the canopy. I will then spend A YEAR building a new canopy, buy new avionics, and finally go flying if I can still stomach it after that nightmare.

I built one canopy. That's enough for one lifetime.

If you're going to lock something, go with the gas caps.

+1. You beat me to it. There is nothing in my plane that cant be replaced easily if stolen. If someone wants in, a lock is not going to stop them. I am not going to fit another canopy if i can help it. A well fitting canopy cover keeps prying eyes out. If they take the cover off, a lock is not going to turn them around.

The OP wasn’t asking if he should lock his canopy. He asked how to do it and said he does lock at some locations. If you feel ok that your $15K Gtn750 was stolen but your canopy was ok, that’s ok. A criminal type probably would crack the canopy to teach you to lock it 🙂. OP was looking for help.

I used the factory canopy latch. I drilled a hole through it for a padlock, which will allow me to lock the latch so it can't be opened. I will NEVER put a lock in it and I am often tempted to order a new C-607 latch handle so I can get rid of the stupid hole.

I agree with you about the lock. I did drill my original canopy latch and put a luggage lock through it to secure it while it was on display at Oshkosh last year. Just to keep the unauthorized lookins-peepers out. However, when I received and installed the Aero Classic side panels, a new latch was part of the installation. I have not drilled that one, yet, and I am debating whether I will or not. :rolleyes:

The OP wasn’t asking if he should lock his canopy. He asked how to do it and said he does lock at some locations. If you feel ok that your $15K Gtn750 was stolen but your canopy was ok, that’s ok. A criminal type probably would crack the canopy to teach you to lock it 🙂. OP was looking for help.

Help was what I offered. To each his own. There are lots of opinions around here. The OP will do what’s best for his plane, but will have other ideas to consider.

Back