What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Construction Table for Outboard Leading Edge

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Anyone else using cheap wooden saw horses to build leading edge. It makes it easy to move around rivet holes, since both can move.

Kudos

Nice setup!

You have a good point on movind around the assembly right at hip height.
Right now, my setup lies on the ground because my table and workspace are all crowded. Specially because I'm working on both wings at the same time, which takes up more space because the tools and construction materials are always off the shelf

Thanks for sharing this

That exactly what I've been using on both projects. I just move them to another bay if the brackets are in the way for riveting.

Assembly table for wings

Tom,

Thanks for all of the great photos. My RV 14 wing kit is coming in 5 weeks and I'm getting my workspace in order. I was wondering if you could give me the dimensions on the two tables you are building your wing on.

Thanks,
Tom Remmler
Sedona, AZ

My benches are EAA benches that are 6' long (I think that EAA benches are 5'). I currently have them screwed together. The benches are long enough to fit the spar completely on the bench with an extra foot or so in length. The standard EAA benches would leave the spar hanging off the edges a bit (I think) I also put a 1.5" lip all the way around. Very useful for clamping. I clamp stuff to it all the time. I also put a piece of sanded plywood on top, which is very smooth.

I also put wheels on the tables. I don't move them a lot, but it is useful. I can post more pictures if you are interested.

cheers
Ken

Saw Horse Solution

Yep, that's the same thing I did. Cheap saw horses and instant mobility at a height I can live with.

The so called "standard" EAA bench is 5 feet long. I built two of em. They are OK so far, but I may need at least one more for the fusalage. (Wood being what it is now adays, the first two came in at almost exactly $100.)

I purchased some cheap tool chest liner, two ft wide twelve ft long for my work table. The product I purchased has just over a 1/8" woven rubbery type material. The holes are just over 1/8" and allow all the crud to fall thru. Either the filings wipe off or fall thru the holes. I lift the liner after each task and wipe off the table below. I am very pleased with this product , the rubber keeps parts from moving easily and cuts back on the scratches. For the Canadian members I purchased it from Princess Auto.

Back