What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mislabeled part for VS?

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I think that a part in the empennage kit is mislabeled. I have not gone through all the sections yet to figure it out. The first section of the VS has a part in the plans labeled VS-706. The part that I found was HS-706. I assume that this is supposed to be labeled VS-706. Here are the pictures:

part in question is the one with blue sharpie on it.

close up of tag:

I'd say if you can't find anything else labeled VS-706 that's it. But it matches the drawing well no matter what the sticker says!

It is possible that you just got the wrong part, with a similar part #.
I think there actually is a part called HS-706.
Is it's shape, exactly what is shown in the drawings. It should have the exact same P.P. holes, etc.

The RV-8 (and possibly other models) use the HS-706, and it looks exactly like that..

Well that's a little troubling; if an RV8 HS-706 slipped in….. Makes me wonder; but boy it does match the drawing exactly, hole for hole….

I'm not sure if this is related, but yesterday on Van's revisions page they posted a note that some RV-14 (and other models) may have gotten the wrong Vertical stabilizer skins. So it is probably worth all of the RV-14 builders going out and checking their skins to make sure it's the proper .032 material.
Tim

Back