What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated pitot AOA option from Dynon

Gahannaflyer

I am at the stage where I need to install the pitot tube in my wings. I have heard that there are some possible issues with the heated pitot/AOA from Dynon as an option. I have read the service bulletin on the moisture/freezing issue. I believe I would like to have a heated unit. Are there other units available that work with the Dynon panel at a later date when I start on this expensive panel? Are they interchangable? Any thoughts?

pitot

If you are not close to flying you can just install the mast and get the pitot later. This is what I did.

I can offer the data point that the Dynon probe works well driving a Garmin g3x AOA and my D10A on my Glasair.

Hopefully someone has done the other way around, but if I were worried I'd try the Garmin probe driving the Dynon. I'd be really surprised if it wouldn't work with the Skyview, but hopefully someone here has tried it.

The mast will be the same, if dynon has their fix by when you are ready. I haven't had freezing problems in spite of a bunch of cold rain followed by freezing but they've been well discussed here.

Derek

Just to close this out. No Longer an issue read bellow.

Original Bulletin: May 6, 2014, Revised: October 10, 2014

Dynon Avionics has received reports from pilots who have experienced degraded airspeed indications while their Dynon Heated AOA/Pitot Probe is in operation. Dynon Avionics has identified an issue where the pitot probe is unable to adequately separate and drain water that is encountered in some flight conditions. As a result, it is possible for water to enter the pitot system and subsequently freeze in unheated areas. This can cause inaccurate, fluctuating, or zero airspeed indications.

Dynon Avionics has redesigned its heated AOA/pitot probe and is offering a replacement for all customers who have the affected equipment.

Back