What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-01417L/R Fluting flange

Eztroller

Well Known Member
I can't seem to get this to work correctly... If I understand, the goal is to have the part lay flat when it is setting on it's web. I have read section 5 many times and watched videos. When I flute, it brings the end of the rib up higher from the flat surface. If someone has a pic of the finished product that would be helpful.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RpHVH1vyJNVfSmAs5

Fluting is a "do it the amount required" process.
Sometimes just a very small amount is needed, and some times a lot is needed.

The amount required will be directly proportional to how tight the bend radius (curve) of the flange is, and how thick the material is.

The true goal is to get the flange straight so that all of the rivet holes are aligned in a straight line.
Some people have an easier time judging this by using a flexible straight edge and laying it along the rivet holes.
When the rivet holes are aligned, the fluting on that portion of the part is done Regardless of how the part seems to lay on a flat table).

When a part has been fluted too much, you can adjust it by flattening flutes as long as you don’t get carried away.

One of the elevator tip ribs in my kit came "pre-fluted" from Van's, but was a bit over fluted. I used a vise with cloth for padding, and gently moved the flange along in the vise, squeezing slightly along the fluted edge to get the holes lined up. Just eyeballing as I went (easy to sight on this part along the rivet holes) to get it straight.

Back