What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have GRT Sport SX, Switch to Dynon HDX or just upgrade to GRT Horizon 10.1?

sdtrojan

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, asking upon your guys' expertise to help me decide. I have an RV9
Current Setup:
GRT Sport SX 8.4"
with GRT A/P Servos
Safefly GPS/EchoUAT ADSB
Trig TX56a (just arrived/not installed)
JPI engine monitoring EDM350
and a Garmin GTX327 (the echo sniffs the modeC)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qsZSVHFXEcs3zZkc6

Debating on keeping the GRT equipment I already have and just upgrading to the Horizon 10.1 screen (Different Harness of course)
picking up a trig transponder
and linking up my nav/com via RS232
Prob $5k for the screen and trade my dynon transponder for a generic Trig version

OR

Switching over to Dynon, everyone says Dynon is better
HDX 10.1 (can't get these screens for 4+months)
I do already own a few pieces of Dynon equipment (Transponder, ADSBin, 2020 GPS antenna, and lifetime data subscription)
But its still $9k in new equipment if I leave the JPI engine monitoring alone and probably a LOT in labor to rip everything out and start over

What would you guys do?
Not too many people are familiar with configuring the GRT systems in San Diego, KMYF.

….. everyone says Dynon is better….

Not everyone. Just those who bought a Dynon. Those who bought Garmin swear by them. And those with GRT think they made the right call.
Full disclosure: I have GRT and think it’s the best. But the documentation was written in engineering-speak. If you can read and understand it, or call them on the phone, everything will work great.

Question: Why change anything? You’ll go from a nice vfr panel to a nice vfr panel. What are you hoping to gain? Do you hope to do something you cannot do now?
You understand that the grt autopilot servos need a grt efis to drive them?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, asking upon your guys' expertise to help me decide. I have an RV9
Current Setup:
GRT Sport SX 8.4"
with GRT A/P Servos
Safefly GPS/EchoUAT ADSB
Trig TX56a (just arrived/not installed)
JPI engine monitoring EDM350
and a Garmin GTX327 (the echo sniffs the modeC)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qsZSVHFXEcs3zZkc6

Debating on keeping the GRT equipment I already have and just upgrading to the Horizon 10.1 screen (Different Harness of course)
picking up a trig transponder
and linking up my nav/com via RS232
Prob $5k for the screen and trade my dynon transponder for a generic Trig version

OR

Switching over to Dynon, everyone says Dynon is better
HDX 10.1 (can't get these screens for 4+months)
I do already own a few pieces of Dynon equipment (Transponder, ADSBin, 2020 GPS antenna, and lifetime data subscription)
But its still $9k in new equipment if I leave the JPI engine monitoring alone and probably a LOT in labor to rip everything out and start over

What would you guys do?
Not too many people are familiar with configuring the GRT systems in San Diego, KMYF.

First, DYNON makes great equipment. (Recently flying behind such in an RV14.)
Second, what is "better" is in the eye of the beholder. All of these vendors make good stuff. It is "different" for each vendor and it depends on what YOU prefer.

If it were me, I would spend $3500-$4500 and plug in a GRT unit.
Make note of all the settings (serial ports etc.) to re-enter or for some combinations you can "SAVE/RESTORE" settings.

You can get a "pigtail" of DB37-> 2x DB25 that maps all the ports logically with the right wire colors. (If you needed one "right now" and could not get it from GRT, I can let you use an extra one that I am not using at the moment.)

Aside from the panel hole cutout, you could be back up and running in a few hours.

Your autopilot servos are already installed and would require no additional work. If you have the digital magnetometers, no additional work.

Adding the other equipment (Trig) is the same no matter what.

My comments are based on the fact that I recently converted my 2 SX in front of pilot panel to a 10.1 + 2 MINIs and my 1 SX screen in front of co-pilot to an EX (two DB25's like the 10.1 vs the DB37 on the SX)

ON THE OTHER HAND ....
If your preference is for the look/feel/support/value or whatever of the Dynon, NONE of what I said above matters. Obviously what you feel most comfortable with is what matters.

DJ , I just upgraded from the same as you to 10.1 Sport. It was so easy. A restore from a backup of the Sport SX moved most all settings for me. If you keep the same RS232 ports assignments from the old to new, its a simple wiring job as well. I also have GRT servos, and Garmin 327, EchoUAT with SafeFly. The biggest difference with 10.1 Horizon and 10.1 Sport is options. The Horizon includes things like vertical AP, synthetic vision, plates, charts (sectionals) where it is an option Sport 10.1 . IF you have the older analog magnetometer, you will need to purchase the newer digital to work with the new stuff $300. Support can help you ( if you don’t know) with what pins do what with your existing 37 pin connector into the Sport SX to new 25 pin connector A and B. I just cut one pin at a time from the known on the SX , and soldered on the wire ( pin already attached came with new unit) and placed in the new corresponding 25 pin DB connector position. When done , your done with the install. Obviously you have to cut anew sub panel for the new bigger screen. STAY with GRT ! I LOVE my new big screen. I did not build my plane, and not a electronics guru…. I did it, you can too. Sorry about the rotated pic of old panel.

Attachments

• BD68FCEB-DFD5-4958-87D9-2DA0DFD07EBA.jpg
    BD68FCEB-DFD5-4958-87D9-2DA0DFD07EBA.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 110
  • FA0F6DAF-F485-476E-92A9-C69E7008533F.jpg
    FA0F6DAF-F485-476E-92A9-C69E7008533F.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 133
Thank you guys for your responses! And thanks Butch for a great write-up and motivation! Your panel looks good!

Truth is, I don't really gain anything... adding the new Trig tx56a nav/com gives me the option to do an ILS on either screen. Living in southern california our weather is so good, i just need the ability to punch through a 200ft thick marine layer every once in a while.

The sport SX screen works great, and having a 12.9" ipad with traffic/wx leaves nothing much more to be desired aside from cleaning up the panel and upgrading to a bigger newer tech screen, the Horizon has geo-referenced charts/plates, could control the nav/com, and could go remote with the transponder.

Sounds like staying GRT is the ultimately the path of least resistance..in terms of wiring headache and cost. At the very least i was going to delete the analog gauges and absorb into the JPI. Upgrading to a Horizon 10.1 seems to be the most tempting. Would hate the idea of buying a new chart subscription :(

Dynon is great, and I do have a lifetime data subscription from a previous project that I'm tempted to use... but ripping everything out and starting over does feel like an overly expensive $install$ endeavor to only wind up with the same features

thank you again for sharing and would def love to hear from any others :)

If your lifetime subscription is with SEATTLE AVIONICS you may be able to have them transfer over to a different device.

One other thing that was mentioned but is worth repeating. Those GRT servos that are already installed, will automatically continue to work with 10.1 as your autopilot. And if you get their touchscreen that function is even easier.

Sadly Seattle Avionics would not switch from Dynon to GRT-it would violate the terms of our agreement they said... Maybe I'll go dynon when I upgrade to an RV10 someday!

Yes on the servos... that is one of the main reasons for staying GRT is already having invested in the EchoUAT/Safefly and servos already being installed

Just been going back and forth between just leaving the functioning SX with synthetic vision & traffic in there

Another option ...

Sadly Seattle Avionics would not switch from Dynon to GRT-it would violate the terms of our agreement they said... Maybe I'll go dynon when I upgrade to an RV10 someday!

Yes on the servos... that is one of the main reasons for staying GRT is already having invested in the EchoUAT/Safefly and servos already being installed

Just been going back and forth between just leaving the functioning SX with synthetic vision & traffic in there

You can add another SX - same size, right next to the one you have.
Add +12, GND, serial In/OUT from/to the other SX.
You would not approach plates but you would have a display that you could dedicate to some form of MAP or later, if you chose, ENG monitor.

But as others have said, why change ANYTHING? If something is MISSING, just add that. :)

[It is easy for us to spend YOUR money though!!! :) ]

Back