Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-09-2021, 02:51 AM

Exclamation Rudder Pedal SB 99-6-1

If You're using inspection for SB 99-6-1, STOP ASAP!

This Failure occurred this morning while taxiing out for a weekend get away. Had it happened at 80 knots on takeoff beside the Hangar Line, I wouldn't be writing this! Right Rudder Pedal Left Seat! Non Pilot Wife in right seat.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:57 AM

Thumbs down RUDDER Failure

Yes SB 99-6-1 was complied with by inspection within 10 hours of failure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	16902  
Old 10-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Default By whoís direction?

Gerard,
Have you turned in the part for an engineering assessment, perhaps to Vanís? Are you relaying Vanís engineersí direction to suspend the SB? That failure is pretty notable, and Iím glad you two are OK, but I would caution folks against simply ignoring a standing bulletin without getting a solid engineering assessment into why that happened.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2022 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
Gerard,
Have you turned in the part for an engineering assessment, perhaps to Vanís? Are you relaying Vanís engineersí direction to suspend the SB? That failure is pretty notable, and Iím glad you two are OK, but I would caution folks against simply ignoring a standing bulletin without getting a solid engineering assessment into why that happened.
The SB is for a 10 hour inspection, with replacement if any sponginess, hard rudder forces, etc. are experienced. Here's a link:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-cont.../sb99-06-1.pdf

I figured 20 years down the road everyone had already modified their rudder pedals to get past the issue.

I'd recommend people make the mod/upgrade. Ain't hard, relatively speaking.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX
Old 10-09-2021, 01:26 PM

An important reminder from the original poster to all RV6 and RV6A owners, many who are new to their aircraft, to verify the status of SB 99-6-1.

Although the SB provides the option to inspect the overhead rudder pedals every 10 hours, and explains how to inspect them, it is a much better course to repair or replace them per info in the SB.

I built my RV6 and have been flying it for 25 years. I replaced my overhead rudder pedals soon after the SB was published and inspection required replacing them. Ordered from Vans and several hours later the new pedals were installed.
Sedona, AZ

Last edited by azrv6 : 10-09-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrv6 View Post
An important reminder from the original poster to all RV6 and RV6A owners, many who are new to their aircraft, to verify the status of SB 99-6-1.

Although the SB provides the option to inspect the overhead rudder pedals every 10 hours, and explains how to inspect them, it is a much better course to repair or replace them per info in the SB.

I built my RV6 and have been flying it for 25 years. I replaced my overhead rudder pedals soon after the SB was published and inspection required replacing them. Ordered from Vans and several hours later the new pedals were installed.
Exactly my intention. Iím new to the RV world and my ( ew do me RV) was in full compliance with this and all SBs. I expressed as strongly as I know how to Sterling at Vanís tech support that this SB be changed, removing the inspection option and ďrequiringĒ replacement or reinforcing. The wisdom Iím getting from those who have seen the parts break is that the weld wasnít cooled properly (by applying heat) and that weekend the torque tube, which was the point of failure.
I have new rudder pedals on the way. They of course now come with gusset reinforcement.