What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Congratulations To Rocky!

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
To All, This doesn't happen often, but today Rockwood "Rocky" Shepard passed the practical test and received his Private Pilot license. What makes his accomplishment unique is that he took the practical test in the RV-9A that he built himself.

I began flying with Rocky and providing instruction toward his license late last year. He just kept getting better and better and on those days where he was out flying solo on a cross country endorsement, he would challenge himself by flying to different airports, some controlled, some uncontrolled and by doing airwork maneuvers along the way.

He is very tuned in to his airplane, and is constantly making improvements. There were some maintenance items he had to deal with prior to the practical test. First, he cleaned all the spark plugs and when he put them back in, the engine ran rough. He worked through that problem, id'd the cold cylinder, and then the bad plug. As you may have read earlier today, he was replacing the battery and his pliers arced from the battery to a braided line under the cowl. He called a company that makes hoses and took their advice "definitely do not fly". He had them overnight a line, and was ready to fly today.

Congratulations Rocky! You da RV man! May we all follow your excellent example.

Congratulations Rocky! Job well done I am proud to call you my friend. Not every man completes his pilot license in the airplane he built. You are welcome here in your old stomping ground any time.

Attachments

• Rocky 2012 - 1.jpeg
    Rocky 2012 - 1.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 245
Now that I am an expert, if anyone has any flying questions, just let me know!

Thanks everyone and without encouragement from so many, it never would have happened. From my first flight with flynmonque in Colorado and another flight with Vlad. My great friend Chuck Brietgiam who mentored me in finishing my plane and flew off the phase 1 while I had moved across the country and then flew with me to my new home. Terry who was nice enough to help get ready for the check ride and has become a good friend.

And all of you who have sent me messages and emails - I appreciate it.

For those still pounding rivets, keep it up. It is possible to build a plane, learn to fly in it, and get a license.

Rocky's wonderful day!

How absolutely wonderful! Having been with Rocky during his build, first engine start, flying off the forty hours of phase one, ferrying his RV-9A with him from Idaho to Michigan, and the myriad of other tasks it takes to build an airplane has been a great joy for me--especially since Rocky was always so enthusiastic and never once lost sight of his dream. Congratulations Rocky and Debbie and "thanks for the all the wonderful memories" and allowing me to be part of your dream!! Super job, Rocky.

Chuck Brietigam
RV-6XXL

Back