What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Bags

rph142

Well Known Member
I discovered a new high efficiency air filtration device. Simply park your plane in shade hangar and the wings will attract every spec of dust within 1/4 mile. Has anyone made a set of lightweight wing bags? I'm thinking supersized pillow bags with Velcro straps connecting them on the bottom. The fabric should be breathable and very thin. I cant be the only one with this problem.

You can buy a set from folks who make canopy covers (like Bruce's) - but they aren't going to be cheap! On the other hand, anything lightweight is probably not going to survive in a windy environment for very long.....

Surplus parachute material & a craigslist sewing machine.

Or if you're as lazy as me, just a big surplus parachute. Then you get fuselage protection, too.

Good point about falling apart in the wind. Do parachutes trap moisture? Considering the $$$ cost of professional canvas bags I'll try stitching together a prototype out of a few old bed sheets. If they only last a year I'll still save time overall.

I discovered a new high efficiency air filtration device. Simply park your plane in shade hangar and the wings will attract every spec of dust within 1/4 mile. Has anyone made a set of lightweight wing bags? I'm thinking supersized pillow bags with Velcro straps connecting them on the bottom. The fabric should be breathable and very thin. I cant be the only one with this problem.

Back in my Alaska days we used wing covers all the time.

Here's a link to Alaska Wing Covers...I believe they do custom work.

Hey Rob, what did you end up doing for your “wing bags”?
I want to use the same or similar just to keep dust off while in our hangar.
Sheets work until a breeze blows them off onto our gritty floor and I’m tired off re-covering mine and our partners planes.
Thanks,
Dave.

I work for a helicopter manufacturer and we've found that things like canopy covers do more damage than good. Especially if they are at all loose fitting. They just end up rubbing the dust in and causing scratches.

I would recommend living with the dust. If you insist on a cover it needs to be tailored to the plane and fit TIGHT.

For inside a closed hangar, polyester banquet tablecloths work very well and are cheap online. I don't remember where I got mine, but just google or check amazon. You can get them long enough to fully cover the wing.

Outside or exposed to wind is a whole nother story.

covers

We cover our plane when it is inside the hangar to keep off dust and bird p**p. The covers are several loose bed sheets. The lighter ones can blow off if there is a gust when the hangar side door is open, but there is a heavier flannel type cover that seems to stay put. There have not been any scratches in the canopy from the covers... but there are circular motion scratches from pilots trying to clean the canopy and not being careful enough!

I think a bed sheet with a pocket sewn in the end to hook over the wing tip and a couple of velcro or elastic straps across the chord would help to keep a light cover from blowing off inside a hangar.

Thanks All for ideas and suggestions
I like the idea of a pocket over the wingtip.
I’m also thinking about letting the sheet edges droop over Wing Leading and tailing edges about 6 inches with some rope sewn into span-wise pockets for weight and stiffness. Enough to keep a breeze from blowing them off constantly.
These are only for use in our drafty and dusty hangar so weight and bulk are no concern.

This post appeared in my feed right next to the post titled "Millennials". I read it twice and thought this post was about 'Windbags"!

Hangar Jammies

Someone use to make/sell hangar jammies for RVs. I have a set and bought them used here on VAF classifieds. You might put in a WTB ad cause I’m not selling mine. :)

Bevan.

Don’t over think this

Go to Harbor Freight and get 4, 4X4 furniture covers for $5 each when they are on sale, and lay them on top of the wing. Get another one and put over the canopy.

5A4C9214-D00F-4A7B-B606-2A2419473ABD.jpg

They won’t damage the wing, and easy to put on and off.

Brian

I know this doesn't exactly answer the bag idea however I simply use the classic California Car Duster when it's dusty. It only takes a few minutes, probably less time than placing and removing sheets, bags, etc.
http://www.calcarduster.com/

I apologize if this detracts from the original poster's idea.
Regards,
David

I know this doesn't exactly answer the bag idea however I simply use the classic California Car Duster when it's dusty. It only takes a few minutes, probably less time than placing and removing sheets, bags, etc.
http://www.calcarduster.com/

I apologize if this detracts from the original poster's idea.
Regards,
David

I do the same thing. Takes me 1-2 min.

Back