What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Lycoming is a Continental?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Getting ready to hang my GORGEOUS Aero Sport Power IO-375 on my -8. In preparation, I printed out the Installation and Operation Manual as provided by ASP.

And, right there on the front cover, it says, "Continental Prime Aircraft Engine."

I know it's fundamentally a Lycoming IO-360 with a new crank to reach 370 and a fraction cubic inches. I think it's 371.8 cu in? Is there another company called Continental making Lycoming build kits? That seems to be a close shave with trademark and copyright laws.

I'm not concerned, just curious.

Getting ready to hang my GORGEOUS Aero Sport Power IO-375 on my -8. In preparation, I printed out the Installation and Operation Manual as provided by ASP.

And, right there on the front cover, it says, "Continental Prime Aircraft Engine."

Yeah, Lycoming stopped selling engine kits to independent engine shops quite a while ago, so they source components elsewhere as required. Your engine is built with some PMA parts (parts FAA approved to be sold in the certified market and installed on Lycoming engines just like a Lycoming part, i.e. in theory identical) and some parts intended for the EAB market. The two big producers of PMA parts are Continental and Superior. Strokers are usually Continentals.

Want the full story? Call JB at Continental, 251-295-3786.

Last edited:
Yep My IO-360 180HP was a Continental/Mattituck Lycoming clone. Made from a mixture of ECI and Superior parts with no actual Lycoming produced parts.

The aviation “line of the year” was spoken by Van at Airventure….

“People always ask why we recommend Lycoming engines for our airframes. teh truth is, they are pretty good - they’re so good in fact, that now even Continental is making them…..”

Back