What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine & Avionics Lead Time

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
At least as of the last time I checked, the lead time for a Titan engine was about 10 months. I’m not sure what the lead time is for Dynon or Garmin avionics, but I seem to recall about 5-6 months for Dynon. What’s the build phase that should trigger these orders (building a 9A)? Order when finishing the fuselage, part way through finishing kit, etc? I work at a moderate pace - took right at a year to mostly get the empennage and wings done (minus fiberglass work) and get started on the fuselage. The fuselage is going a bit slower just due to all of the back ordered parts forcing me to hop around.

Just trying to get a decent guess as to at what point I should think about ordering the big ticket items. I was thinking of ordering the engine around the same time as I start the finish kit? These long lead times add a little more complexity to planning compared to the days when you just needed a few months of foresight!

Im building an rv-7 at about the same pace as you. I placed the order for my titan IOX-370 about a month ago as they were quoting 12-14 month lead times. I was also tired of watching the prices climb...maybe next year they will go up another 20%? It should arrive roughly 2-3 months after my finish kit is expected to arrive. This is my second RV so I figured I could ramp up or down the pace as needed. The avionics can start anytime after the fuselage is mostly together. Plenty of wiring can be done outside of the plane.

I’m going on 15 months from placing my order for an IO-540 and there is no indication when I will get it. So if it was me I’d order the engine as soon as you get started on the fuse kit. YMMV

Keith

I can only speak to the avionics, but for that I'd wait as long as possible (unless you get wind of price increases). You never know what is around the corner, and it seems avionics are where things are evolving the fastest.

As a data point, I ordered a new panels worth of Garmin from Sarasota mid-June, and the bulk of the order shipped immediately. While the quoted lead times on a few items were about 4 months (GSU 25 and 10" display) I had everything I ordered by the first week of September, so less than 3 months.

With avionics, the lead time is often driven by the backlog at the avionics shop, rather than by the backlog at the avionics manufacturer. So if you’re planning to fabricate your own panel and build your own harnesses, the lead time is relatively short. If you’re planning to have Stein or one of his competitors do that for you, you’d better give them a call. They have a big backlog and lead times are relatively high.

I bought a Thunderbolt 390 2 years ago right before the first of several price increases. I was about 1/2 way through the fuselage kit at that point. Lead time turned out to be about a year. It's been in storage for the last year and I'm getting ready to hang it this month.

Obviously ordered it way before I needed it, but I wanted to lock in the pricing. That turned out to be a good move because it's gone up $22k since then!

I also have a full G3X suite. When I ordered it a year ago everything was pretty readily available except one box (I don't remember which one) that had a lead time of a few months.

Lycoming, Garmin and Catto

I ordered an IO 360 M1B experimental (not TB) through Vans in mid August. I finally got an estimated ship date in the last month. 4/11/23 expected ship. Sure wish I had ordered before the price increase. Keep an eye on Van's and Lycoming price announcements.

I ordered all my G3X touch components from Aircraft Spruce in early September. I've received 3 or 4 shipments so far. Most came within the first month. The G3X Touch GDU460 was one of the longer lead items and delivery got pulled in and I already have it. I was supposed to receive the GSU25 this year, but just checked and see it is now estimated to ship 2/7/23. I was checking prices on the official Garmin price sheet in July before Osh. Then asked for quotes from several distributors and their prices were higher than what I expected. Then I pulled a new official Garmin price sheet in late August or early September and saw Garmin had increased prices. So normally I would wait until the last minute to buy Avionics, but with supply chain issues maybe best to order a bit early.

I ordered a Catto 3 blade FP prop in early September for delivery in early February. They said delivery wasn't a problem and had one ready to ship a month ago. They did mention a price increase may be coming since they are seeing big increases on their material including epoxy.

Regards,
Brad

Garmin just announced price increases that will take effect at the beginning of 2023. The G3X lead times are getting much better. (Only a few weeks out at this point) but many relating items like their transponders are still several months out.

Skylar
Skyman Avionics

Nothing worse than not having the parts when you need them. If you have a fairly ambitious build schedule. then I would suggest you order everything you can get and afford as soon as possible. Price increases, supply chain issues and labor shortages can really put a crimp on your build schedule.

Garmin just announced price increases that will take effect at the beginning of 2023. The G3X lead times are getting much better. (Only a few weeks out at this point) but many relating items like their transponders are still several months out.

Skylar
Skyman Avionics

Where is this information? I’d like to read it and plan accordingly.

Back