What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alvord Desert

rph142

Well Known Member
I checked a longstanding item off of my bucket list this past Sunday when I landed on the Alvord Desert Lake Bed. The flight up was quite smoky from the huge norcal fires. I touched down on the northwest corner of the lake because it looked the hardest, but I'm sure nearly anywhere would be fine. Next time I plan on practicing real engine outs.

jjbpza.jpg

Last edited:
I've really wanted to land there in my -9A, but would prefer to do so along with someone else....just in case. If anyone is interested in a trip, I'm at KLHM. Might be fun to get a small group going.
David

Fly fishing on Alvord Desert

All these pictures spark interest and last weekend on my way to Washington to go fishing with my mother I diverted to Alvord. The intent was to put on all my fly fishing gear and get a selfie but the flies/bees/heat were terrible on the north east side. The lake bed was nice and hard packed clay. The grass strip I land at in Washington was way softer!

If I can figure out how to post an image from my phone I will.

Missed the party

You just missed us. There were 5-6 planes there by Sunday morning. We arrived Friday IFR in the smoke. It cleared a bit Saturday and a bunch of Bonanzas came in. Everybody except one plane were gone by noon Sunday. It was HOT and WINDY on Saturday and the meteor viewing was disappointing. However, glad we did it and might do it again when it's cooler and less smoky. We landed and camped at the NE corner.

Hey Mark, its tough getting up with a 7 month old at home, but I manage. I hope you guys are doing well out east.

douglassmt, Its too bad I missed you guys. I was surprised there wasn't a single plane anywhere to be found on the lake.

I've really wanted to land there in my -9A, but would prefer to do so along with someone else....just in case. If anyone is interested in a trip, I'm at KLHM. Might be fun to get a small group going.
David

I could be talked into a Fall trip. Cooler, bugs are dead, if it hasn’t rained the surface will be hard and smooth. I camped there for a few nights on the west side about 4 years ago. A year later I was still finding dust in nooks and crannies of my -7 :rolleyes:

i-XBFSmNt-XL.jpg

Last edited:
What the heck would you do to pass the time there?

Easy. I?m a lifelong desert/remote country wanderer. Long walks. Hopped in the plane and did a lap around Steens Mountain. Good books. Good whiskey. Stargazing. I value solitude. I can do that for weeks on end.

Al,
How about a pic of your finished 8? I never did I get to see the finished product.

Rob

Back