What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compass

rcarson

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted a pedistal compass on the top of the panel of a tip up? I need to put one in the plane and it seems like the logical place but the canopy comes up so high that I don't know it it will be damaged. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Has anyone mounted a pedistal compass on the top of the panel of a tip up? I need to put one in the plane and it seems like the logical place but the canopy comes up so high that I don't know it it will be damaged. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Richard,

I can't help with your question but am wondering if you "need" the compass. If you have an EFIS with a magnetometer you have satisfied the requirement of FAR 91.205 for a magnetic heading indicator. It seems very few new RVs have a compass.

I stuck one (vertical card) in my panel just to keep a "traditional" interpretation of the presence of a mag compass in my plane tipped in my favor (all electronic engine and flight instrumentation). Not up on the glareshield getting in the way either. And not intended for primary means of navigation. Honestly, that's done by GPS track 99% of the time. Just a thought.

I do not have an EFIS but do have all steam gauges and there is a requirement for a compass. Anyone else have any info.

I thought everyone did :)

I have a compass mounted there and I don't like it. To make it fit I had to build a little shelf extension. It seems like a dangerous thing to me as it is something to potentially hit with my head in an accident. I keep thinking about ripping the whole thing out and relying on the far superior Dynon magnetometer.

I had originally mounted my compass in the panel next to the D120. Although it looked better, it got a lot of interference and was pretty much worthless.

inpanel.jpg

I relocated it above the panel and it now it works perfect. If and when everything electrical craps out, I'll be glad I moved it. :rolleyes:
There doesn't appear to any issue with it tipping up all the time.

ontop.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks? That was my question concerning damage to the unit itself by tumbling the compass everytime the canopy is opened.

Back