What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weekend trip ideas wanted!

tkatc

Well Known Member
Please post any major or interesting events happening in your area. (Besides Oshkosh) I am trying to plan a nice weekend getaway for the wife and I over the next month or two. There are many destinations to be seen in a weekend (ask Vlad) but I thought it would be nice to attend some sort of event. Kentucky Derby is on the list but has already past for this year.

Aviation type events are good for me but not so much for the wife. Likewise the Shoe Sale parade in downtown Podunk would work for her....but not so much for me. Looking forward to seeing what this group can come up with. Probably have to limit travel to 500-600 miles from Philadelphia but for something GOOD we might make an exception.

Tony,
Rocklands Owls Head has some nice events. I am in Maine now and we went to their 50s 60 s cars how on Sunday.

Rockland has a Blues festival and a Lobster Festival comming up

Trip

B&B at Okracoke would be nice if you like the Ocean. Might even find Blackbeard's buried treasure!

Last edited:
All good ideas!! We are leaning more to an event based trip. So far Lollapalooza looks good! So does a Blues and Lobster festival!! Tell me more Jeff. :)

Lexington, Kentucky is a very worthwhile visit

There are horse farm tours where you are driven around in a van, but you are going to need a rental car for real tourist coverage of the old homes of famous people from the area, the bourbon trail and you must drive to Louisville and take a walking tour of Churchill Downs when the crowds are away - It is almost a religious experience. There is a Kentucky Air museum which is typical of small air museums - your wife will love it because you will not spend a lot of time there. The thing that I liked about it was they had a RF-101 Voodoo on display which is a favorite with me on the level of the Mustang to many. A treat that we enjoyed in Lexington is a dish called Hot Brown which was referred to as a Kentucky tradition in DeSha's Restaurant - it was delicious!

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
austin!

come to austin, stay in my guest bedroom, swim in my pool, listen to some great live music, eat some fabulous Austin BBQ and famous cobbler heaped with blue bell ice cream, skim the top of heel country...
Tejas that is...

Gil, if To y passes on your Austin invite I could be persuaded ! Sounds great and I hear Austin is not TX :)

The Texas joke is because I did my primary training down around Brownsville back in the mid 90's. It wasn't TX either. Everyone referred to it as North Mexico !

KLKP

Lake Placid, NY is always nice-Summer or Winter. Miracle on ice hockey rink, Whiteface Mountain, great shops/restaurants, nice hikes in the woods, airport in town and at least 2 RVers up there.

come to austin, stay in my guest bedroom, swim in my pool, listen to some great live music, eat some fabulous Austin BBQ and famous cobbler heaped with blue bell ice cream, skim the top of heel country...
Tejas that is...

So far this is at the top of MY list!! We'll see what the boss says. I suspect she'll like the Lobster Fest but we have connections in Austin also.

Vlad never invites me on any of HIS excursions so he will have to be awfully nice to me in the coming month. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
awesome. when do i pick you up from EDC? ;)

So far this is at the top of MY list!! We'll see what the boss says. I suspect she'll like the Lobster Fest but we have connections in Austin also.

Vlad never invites me on any of HIS excursions so he will have to be alfully nice to me in the coming month. :rolleyes:

Austin, the little blue dot in a sea of red... but seriously. its a great city.
I'm about 15miles north of city center, EDC is about 8 miles NW and there is tons of transient parking. They may even put you in the giant hangar if you make arrangements ahead of time. my 9A is in a hail shed. no dough for a real box.
http://www.austinexecutiveairport.com/

Gil, if To y passes on your Austin invite I could be persuaded ! Sounds great and I hear Austin is not TX :)

The Texas joke is because I did my primary training down around Brownsville back in the mid 90's. It wasn't TX either. Everyone referred to it as North Mexico !

Hanger Hotel

Tony,

I have never been but I understand the Hanger hotel in Fredericksburg (about 100 miles west of Austin) is a great place to visit. It is on my bucket list. If you are in Austin you should check it out also.

http://www.hangarhotel.com/

Been to Block and Nantucket, might stop for lunch on the way up to Maine if we decide to do the Lobster Fest. It is high on the list.

Austin looks like it will go onto the bucket list but I may have to leave the wife behind for that one. That trip is better suited for a Flight of 2 cousins and perhaps a 3rd if we can coordinate our schedules (Vlad and Glen).

Lollapalooza is very tempting and we were inspecting the line up last night. There are some good bands on Sunday so that is good but the bands we most want to see would be Friday and we wouldn't make it out there in time. Besides, tickets are supposedly sold out. :rolleyes:

Keep the ideas coming!!

Do you like wine?

Finger Lakes NY region has a ton of wine tours that are really cool. There's one near christmastime called "Deck the Halls Wine tour" where every winery has a special food item that they pair with their wines. I've done 2 separate wine tours in the area and they're a lot of fun especially with a group of people. We have friends that do one every year.

Good suggestion. The wife LOVES wine. When we went to Napa Valley we became members of about half a dozen wine clubs! :D.

This one's a little out there...

But I am considering hanging out with the crazies at burning man this year...

Its only 2/3 tank of gas from Spokane and seems like a really unique aviation experience. Nice scenery on the way down too. Has anyone else considered it/actually been there? Here's a link with a lot of info:

http://www.portofentry.org/

I figure I can get my yearly dose of culture in one weekend this way.

Martha's Vineyard

...GREAT place! Was just there in June with the Spousal Unit .... we had a fabulous time ... lots to see and do, and all the seafood you can eat. Great little airport, too.

Back