What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Storage

RVadmirer

Well Known Member
I recently picked up an ECI O-360 with only 40 hours on it. It was "sorta" pickled but needs to be carefully done as I'll be storing it for another year in a foggy and moist climate this time of year. I've heard several ideas including filling the engine with inexpensive oil and turning it over so the cam is covered. Does anybody have more accurate instructions on preparing it for safe storage? :confused:
Thank you!

RVadmirer said:
I recently picked up an ECI O-360 with only 40 hours on it. It was "sorta" pickled but needs to be carefully done as I'll be storing it for another year in a foggy and moist climate this time of year. I've heard several ideas including filling the engine with inexpensive oil and turning it over so the cam is covered. Does anybody have more accurate instructions on preparing it for safe storage? :confused:
Thank you!

I don't have any expert advice for help with pickling, but I couldn't help but notice that you are in Davis. I'm happy to discover that there's at least one other RV builder in this town! For what it's worth, the Superior IO-360 that arrived on my doorstep last week had dessicant cartridges screwed into the sparkplug holes. I don't know what's in the crankcase.

Try "Engine Saver" too

The Engine Saver pumps dessicated (dry) air through the engine. It turned my dessicant cartridges on my Superior from showing a little pink back to bright, solid blue. It really does work to keep the air inside the engine very dry. I am a two-time customer and have no other affilliation with the company or anyone in it.

A friend of mine did exactly what you explained; inexpensive oil and turn her upside down. Was pickled like that for 2 years and has been flying fine for 6 years now.

John Balbierer
RV-6, N30JB
Seneca Falls, NY

TMX does describe the simple process which, to put it even simpler, is to fog the inside of the cylinders with the preservation oil, then put 6 or 7 more quarts more into the crank case, and then tip the engine up on it's side both directions to coat the rest of the insides.
That's supposed to last for at least 6 months each time.

As far as the "cheap oil" goes, I chose to believe the recommendations and the hype that a particular type of oil should be used for the purpose. I figure a few more $$$ is nothing compared to the $22,000 value of a new engine.

Here's a reference for an oil made for the purpose of preservation.
http://www.shell.com/static/aviation-en/downloads/aeroshellfluid_2f.pdf

I bought a couple of 5-liter bottles of the Shell off the Internet somewhere a couple of weeks ago and I think it ran around $70ish.

Highflight

Thank you ALL!

Have read the referenced materials and am getting some preservative oil to get 'r done!

Thanks for the advice.
Dave :)

Back