What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI Fuel Gauge Problem

Has anyone had success in installing the Electronics International fuel gauge(Resistive type)? I have tried several times to get the fuel senders to talk accurately to the gauge and every time get the indication that the resistance was less than the 200 ohms required when calibrating the tanks. I've bent the float in every direction possible, called the company and still cannot get the darn thing to work.

I've just about given up and may order the Van's fuel gauges to replace this $400 unit.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

JB

Yes, I have the EI resistive fuel gauges in my RV-6 and have had no problem calibrating them; however, the senders themselves were the old Stewart Warner versions that Van's used to supply and they only indicate from about 2 gallons up to 17 gallons. Below 2 gallons the sender is bottomed out, and above 17 gallons it is topped out (I have inverted flop tubes in each tank, so the senders are located in the second bay of each tank). I calibrated my tanks with the EI gauges to read 0 gallons at the minimum point, and 18 gallons at the highest point (even though I really have 2 gallons left at the 0 point and 19 gallons at the 18 point. When I hit 0 on the gauges the remaining 2 gallons in each tank is my reserve to immediately get down for refueling (that gives me half an hours fuel when both tanks are at 0). For the start of a flight I know that I actually have 2 more gallons than it indicates, but once the level hits 16 gallons then it is very accurate from that point on down to 3 gallons (the gauge will go from 3 to 0 very fast since that is actually only a 1 gallon change).

When using the EI guages it is best to also install EI's fuel flow gauge as well, because you can then set the total fuel load you have at the beginning of each flight and it is accurate to within 1/10 of a gallon as to what you have used while flying. This will really give you the ultimate in fuel management capability over the use of only fuel gauges & time calculations since it keeps track of what you have used regardless of power settings. The EI fuel gauges are really only used to monitor if there is a massive fuel leak by virtue of the guage dropping level too fast, otherwise the EI fuel flow gauge is what is used to determine the TRUE fuel amount remaining.

Finger Lakes RVer said:
Has anyone had success in installing the Electronics International fuel gauge(Resistive type)? I have tried several times to get the fuel senders to talk accurately to the gauge and every time get the indication that the resistance was less than the 200 ohms required when calibrating the tanks. I've bent the float in every direction possible, called the company and still cannot get the darn thing to work.

I've just about given up and may order the Van's fuel gauges to replace this $400 unit.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

JB

Sir,

This is something we would greatly like to remedy as well.

Please call David Campbell at 541-318-6060 as soon as you can to go over your situation. He is our resident guru of all things fuel quantity related.

Mathew Sharp

Float Type fuel senders losing ground

May be unrelated, but intermittent fuel qty indication problem on my RV-6 was caused by sender not getting good ground where it installs into inboard side of tank. Too much potting compound on screws perhaps? Backed all screws out, tightened back down, and problem fixed. Now other side starting same symptoms. On to do list......

Back