What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip : Another dimpling technique for narrow ribs

larrynew

Well Known Member
I haven't seen this technique for narrow rib dimpling so I thought I'd share it. This is the tip of the upper rib in the RV-7 Rudder. I first tried my visegrip dimpler but the access for the last hole was just too narrow. Then I tried going through the opposite hole with the pop-rivet dimpler but the head of the nail was too big to fit through the hole and I didn't want to make the hole any bigger.

What the picture shows from the top is the head of the nail for the pop-rivet dimpler then the male die, then through the rib, the female die, several spacers to keep the flange square during squeezing, then through the opposite hole in the rib, then another spacer, then the pop-riveter.

I used some electrical connectors for spacers because I didn't have washers handy plus they had handles which made it easier. Be sure the hole in your spacer is big enough so that it doesn't smash the opposite dimple. I used a female dimple die on the outside of the rib as spacer to keep from scratching the rib but any washer would do.

DSC00718.JPG

Worked just fine:
DSC00720.JPG

Last edited:
What Now

OK, so now you got your rib nicely dimpled, you can spend some time thinking about how you're going to get the solid rivets in there during assembly. :)

A tip from me... put the solid rivet in the most cosmetically pleasing location and then consider the pop rivet on the other side. Actually there are places in a 7 where the two rivet heads virtually touch when installed...

Richard

Philippe mentioned my dimpling method. Here's a pic:

ribdimpler.jpg

I put the nail of the dimpler set through the male dimpler, then through the rib hole, then female dimpler, then through a large lock washer, then through the other rib hole, and then capped off everything with a over-sized nut. After squeezing the dimple, I reversed the process for the other side.

There are some tight areas on the elevators that the holes do not line up so another process is needed. You can bend the rib open, and use the nail dimpler, but the best way I found is on the EAA web video (will post a link when I get home) and uses a cleveland female dimpeling tool and an adapter to put the male die in your rivet gun. This makes better dimples than the pop rivet tool for me, and very quick.

The tools ended up costing about $50, but who's counting.

As for the rivets, I was able to use solid rivets on most tight holes by first using my 1/4" backing plate as a bucking bar with fair results (but better than a pop rivet). Or, I got the tnin nose yoke for the pneumatic squeezer. That will set rivets in about a 1/4" clerance, and better quality.

Make your own female die ...

... and save a few bucks. I used the heavy aluminum plate that was in the Emp kit (intended as a bolt lenth guide).

Drill a #40 hole near one corner and countersink it. Mount it with the corner just off the edge of the table and use the rivet gun with an old male die.

Unfortunately I tried all the other techniques and didn't get this one until dimpling the flaps....:mad: I'll know for the next RV!

Alan
RV-9A Fuse (started and holding)
N984AW Rserved

Here?s another method

The method that has always worked for me, was to take a piece of ? or 3/16 flat steel bar stock, and drill and counter sink a hole near the end. Put the steel flat stock in a vice and use rod that comes with your C-frame dimpler and a male dimple die, all loaded into your rivet gun, use the steel flat bar for the female die, and a couple of rattles with the rivet gun and you have a perfect dimple. I think it helps to hit the home made female dimple die with a scotch bright wheel, and you must be careful to keep the rivet gun straight, or you risk breaking the guide pin on the male dimple die. I?ve done this for years and only broken one die. Of course practice on a piece of scrap.

Rib Dimpling Near Trailing Edge

A steel plate with a #40 hole drilled and counter sunk as per the MACHINE COUNTERSINKING instructions in Section 5.5 of Vans Section 5, or use a "Tight-Fit Dimpling Fixture" from CleavelandTool as the female dimple. Use the bottom die holder from a C-Frame inserted in a rivet gun with the male dimple die.
AF1QipMiey7qaFfd8F-Ya8BYCQwav6Wr5qNVWKqEQJMm

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOumA3TFPQ5YTIHbIizOfSXfAbQJbf7_NOC3G3l/photo/AF1QipPfOnSEnfjjReA_CT5CE26V7Z-O-Kgvs26WaqlY

Doug Jones
Whitby Ont, Canada
RV14A Starting Wing build

What other rivet methods?

What other rivet methods are there? I don’t have a steel plate thin enough to get in the practice kit wing rib. Thin nose 4” yoke got all but the last one. Thin nose 1”?

Brian
14A emp ordered
PA28-236
KIWS

Back