Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2021, 01:24 PM

Default Wear and tear on the stiffeners

Yes that may be an option. Im not sure how the wood stand up over time. Does it crack, does it loosen up from the gear leg from all the harmonics and lose effectiveness?

Once I get the fairing off it may be glaring obvious whats happening, or not.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:54 PM

If it's properly wrapped with fiberglass at a 45 degree angle, it'll probably hold up fine. Otherwise I suppose it could crack from the shear load, if the carbon alone were on it.

Dave
Old 10-23-2021, 02:31 PM

Default Wittman Gear

The round spring gear was designed and patented by Steve Wittman in the late 40's early 50's. The first plans built Wittman Tailwinds first flew in 1955. The landing gear was relatively short and the airplanes were considerably lighter that the RVs except for the RV3.
Very few airplanes in that era had any kind of shimmy dampener. Those that did used a hardwood stiffener. One common method of attachment was the banding straps used to build wooden shipping crates. Much later it was common to fabricate a gear fairing with a larger piece of wood on the trailing edge and a couple wraps of fiberglass around the gear leg and wood.
I have metal gear leg fairings so I was able to make the aluminum bar fit inside the fairing. My gear may very well toe out at heavier weights.
The angles on the gear legs are a guessing game on a taildragger. If the camber is set in the three point position as the tail is raised the gear toes out/or any toe in decreased.
If the angles are set at gross weight the gear will toe in at reduced weight. Wittman specified 1/16" toe in measured in length of axle but did not specify attitude or weight when setting this.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Antisplat

I'm surprised that Alan at Antisplat hasn't designed a complete kit for using a metal main gear stiffener. He usually is far ahead of the fray!

Chuck Brietigam
RV-6XXL
Old 10-23-2021, 07:12 PM

Default Yes

I would buy a set for my 9a. First in line. I call dibbs.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Using chromoly tubing for gear leg stiffeners

I am considering using chromoly tubing that I could run the brake line thru and Adel clamp it to the gear leg. RV4 long leg no shimmy but more bounce! Any and all comments appreciated
Old 10-26-2021, 08:25 AM

Default My fiberglass and carbon fiber

FinnFlyer,

I did what you were originally asking about in your first post. Check out my builders pages in KitLog.com. The link is in my address. Plane has 250 hours so far with no problems with the install.

Paul
Victoria, TX
Old 10-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyboy View Post
I am considering using chromoly tubing that I could run the brake line thru and Adel clamp it to the gear leg. RV4 long leg no shimmy but more bounce! Any and all comments appreciated
Ought to be effective, I suppose, but you can do your own calculation of the combined inertia to be sure. 4130 has a modulus the same as the gear leg and about 2.8 times that of aluminum.

Dave
Old 10-26-2021, 04:52 PM

Default just me

I like the aluminum plate idea the best. I think this is what I am going to do. But please keep the ideas coming. i am waiting for the airfoil shaped titanium replacement gear for the 7/9 class planes. cant be that expensive; still gotta be cheaper than a 14.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2021, 05:25 PM

You might not want titanium... it has 55% the material Young's modulus, or stiffness, of steel. Might feel too springy.
Dave